Houston to Cozumel flights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It has been a few years since I've kept track of airfares to Cozumel. Right now the flight to Cozumel on February 6 returning on February 13 shows over a $1,000. I know that price will eventually come down but how much I do not know.

Right now I could book Southwest Airlnes from Houston to Cancun for $312 Rt. On United it is $441. No bag fees on Southwest. Not sure if first bag on international flights are still free on United.

I'm tempted to book the flight to Cancun and do the bag drag. Does anyone think the United flight to Cozumel will come down to $400?

United charges for bags from Houston to Cozumel, unless you have frequent flyer benefits.

It's hard to say where the prices will go. Personally, I would go with Southwest via Cancun. It's a sure thing, plus bags are free.

United does not allow a free checked bag anymore. I think it was $25 for the first and $40 for the second, each way, but you can check their site. SWA flights sound great if the times are good, and a norte doesn't stop the ferries. America would book it for $634 but you change planes in DFW, and I guess you want non-stop? Is that Carnival time? It's wintertime so everything is higher, but $1,000 is absurd. The lowest fares are usually a month or two in advance, unless they sell out - then you miss.

Don, the times are good. I would arrive in Cancun at noon. Yes those dates should fall during Carnival as Fat Tuesday is February 9, 2016. Do the ferries always get closed in a good Norte?

Don, the times are good. I would arrive in Cancun at noon. Yes those dates should fall during Carnival as Fat Tuesday is February 9, 2016. Do the ferries always get closed in a good Norte?
If the waves are big, it can happen. I don't go in winter because of nortes, but that's me. You would probably be fine. Book the SWA so you can plan ahead. :wink:

Do the ferries always get closed in a good Norte?
It depends on how severe it is. What's just enough to shut down 6 pack diving won't stop the ferries.

I don't keep track of ferry closures but it may be tied more to tropical systems than nortes. Just a guess on my part.

I have been on the ferry a bunch of times when they were handing out puke bags. They run in alot of weather that closes the port to small craft. You can also consider Mayair a back up plan.

I have been on the ferry a bunch of times when they were handing out puke bags. They run in alot of weather that closes the port to small craft. You can also consider Mayair a back up plan.
If the weather is too rough for the ferries to run I'm not so sure I'd want to get on one of those little Mayair planes.

The trip is booked. February 5 to February 15. Flying into Cancun and doing the bag drag. Arrive at noon on a Friday, and hoping customs isn't to bad.

Back
Top Bottom