How about the People we meet on the dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a feeling I know that Pilot & friend. The Radio Control hobby is another melting pot where a common interest bonds everyone together.

It's funny, but when I show up to the boat or dive site in this, the 'jig' is up. I couldn't escape talking about work if I wanted to.

img_5195-jpg.406428.jpg

Attachments

• img_5195-jpg.406428.jpg
    img_5195-jpg.406428.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Fascinating topic!
I used to live in Taiwan where it was normal conversation on a first meeting to ask what someone did professionally and how much they made. Also if you had a zit on your face, they told you.

I've found that in the US, we're not quite THAT forward, but people are still quite interested in that topic. When asked, I usually don't tell people because #1) I don't want people to see me through their cultural assumptions and preconceived notions about my profession and #2) I want them to know me, not my profession.

It does fascinate me that SCUBA diving brings such a diverse group together. How cool is that!

OK- I have already posted on this thread regarding my life and my son-- but here is something cool that just transpired this week and is totally related to this thread. A couple of years ago, I traveled to Florida on business. Unfortunately, I never took advantage or made a point to connect with @Wookie or @The Chairman -- 2 of my favorite Peeps on this Board! Totally my BAD!
However, I did solicit some sage advice from @scubadada and he made an impactful difference in my dive decisions and choices-- Thank you CRAIG!
While in Boynton Beach that week, I went out diving with Starfish Scuba and got "insta-buddied " up with someone who I totally enjoyed and had an instant affinity with. We became Facebook friends and have stayed in touch over the last couple of years and now he is in my neighborhood and we will be going out diving together this weekend in the Channel Islands. I am looking forward to showing him our amazing Kelp Forests!
His house is my house and vice versa! I guess that is my point... Be open! There are clearly some real whack jobs and arrogant tools out there-- but there are also some real quality people that can make a positive influence in your life or... vice versa!

I dont feel any need to lie about what I do. Its up to them to decide if they consider it unworthy or lowly. I actually kind of enjoy it...as in, Im a doctor. Im a rocket Scientist. Im a published author, ect..then my turn. I run a tire store. Haha. Some accept it as no big deal, others move quickly on to something else. Myself, either way doesnt affect me at all, I just enjoy the topic. Although one time that turned into a long discussion on the boat regarding the use of nitrogen in tires and my opinion regarding that. Fun stuff! And all part of the trip.

There are clearly some real whack jobs and arrogant tools out there
Hey, you already mentioned @Wookie and me! Stop repeating yourself!!! :D :D :D

Part of the reason I dive is to get away from stresses in life. No phone, no "real computer", no calls etc... I have no real problems discussing my business, but it is really not what I would prefer to discuss on vacation, I work enough and have to keep in touch enough on vacation. I would much prefer to talk about other people's experiences of where they have been and where they have dove. I have had people go on and on and on about what they do for a living on a boat or SI almost to the point of putting the whole boat to sleep.

Used to work in television... long conversation. Then owned a conservation nursery... another long conversation. Now that I'm retired, people give me the big hairy eyeball and we talk about whatever they are binge watching on Netflix. That's O.K....I dive more and I'm happy. :)

I am not telling a bunch of scuba diving, world traveling, macho bad-@$$E$ that I am a stay at home mom. There won't be a second question. Before anyone suggests I make up something more interesting, like poll-dancer, i find the boat engine noise drowns out conversation anyway, so I just smile and nod at other people's moving lips.

I am not telling a bunch of scuba diving, world traveling, macho bad-@$$E$ that I am a stay at home mom. There won't be a second question. Before anyone suggests I make up something more interesting, like poll-dancer, i find the boat engine noise drowns out conversation anyway, so I just smile and nod at other people's moving lips.

Does poll-dancer have something to do with politics?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom