How about this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hambleto

Club Web Master
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello again everyone. I had an idea and I wanted everyone’s opinion on it. How would everyone feel about having a Wreck Valley home page? Now this page in no way shape or form would have any similarities to this page. It would be a page where we could have a photo gallery, logo, and some general information, calendar of events, dives, and things like that. We would still chat and communitcate on here, but we would have our own place to put up a bunch of photos and the like. Give me some feedback and let me know what you think?
Take care,
Ben

Could be cool once we have enough members to make it worthwhile.

What kind of cost would be involved?

Well. The domain would have to be registered (Since I suggested the idea I will take of that myself). I could park the domain on one of my servers and handle web traffic and possibly some e-mail forwarders. (ie a message goes to scottk@ourdomain.com and it would be forwarded onto the real e-mail address). I do not currently see any cost as long as the bandwidth usages stays low. If it over loads one of the servers I might even be able to throw a spare dedicated one together (that is a bridge to be crossed if the time ever came) But for a basic webpage with a photo gallery and info and such I do not see a cost. That is just my thoughts.
Ben

That's a great idea. That way we could have a real photo gallery, with thumbnails, etc. instead of just a thread with a bunch of links to photos on other sites.

I could help with the design. We could make it look nice and perty, not like some of those sites, built by programmers or people who know a little bit of Front Page, but don't have clue what looks good.

Actually I'm working on some ideas for the logo too.

But we should hold off for now. As Martin pointed out there is a dive charter called wreck valley, so we may have to change our name.

Perhaps there is a dive charted called wreck valley. But they do not own the domain www.wreckvalley.com. As long as we specify on the site that we are the Wreck Valley dive club and that we are not a business under the same name we are not infrindging on their name.

I myself can do some web design, but I am not a graphic artist by far. So if you can make a web page look good that is great! Typicaly when I setup a Photo Gallery on a web page I use a PHP scipt that dynamicaly generates the thumbnails and web pages and can resize the images on the fly.

Actually if you look at my other post, never mind I see you already did.

But for those who want to reply about the name issue please do it here. OUR NAME!

Cool I could work on the design. I also know Flash, Dreamweaver, HTML, and some **********, so I could hand it off to you at any point you want (finished site for you to just integrate the photo gallery, template for you to use to build the pages, or even just the optimized slices.)

I am glad you know how to do the design. It sounds like a plan to me if we get the go ahead.

As far as the name, I am sorry for the misunderstanding. If we change the name I will just grab another domain name. (As long as it is not taken of course).

How was the water yesterday?

I just got a 5mm core warmer to wear over my full 7mm. I felt nice and toasty even down to 90' at around 11:30, but by the third dive a little after 4 I think, I was pretty cold even at 50'.

That was probably mosly from sitting the cold air in between dives though.

The name's not entirly up to me anyway, and I kind of like our name. There is one other factor to consider, but I'll post it in the other thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom