How Afraid are you of Sharks?

How Afraid are you of Sharks?

• Shark!? Where? Eek, a shark!

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • I'd pee my wetsuit if I hadn't all ready.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I don't give them a second thought (just a first).

Votes: 58 25.0%
  • I don't give them a second thought (or a first).

Votes: 35 15.1%
  • Shark? Oh, how cute! Let me get a picture with it.

Votes: 103 44.4%
  • If a shark bites me, I'll bite it back!

Votes: 22 9.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharks need to be protected from fishermen who either catch them for their fins which they cut off and then push back into the ocean or for other reasons.

Sorry if you misunderstood, the quote above is actually what I was getting at with my post.

I agree with leapfog
We need to take care when entering the sharks part of the world so as not to endanger them as we do ourself. We also need to take precautions to prevent being "tasted" by eating machines as bee keepers take precautions to prevent being stung.:eyebrow:
Knowledge is a BIG part of the answer.:D

As I have found out, most divers respect our Bruddah Mano ("SHARK".)
As we swim in his neighborhood, and learn about marine world, we know how important the big buggers are to the balance.
Scuba divers know the truth.
Sport fishermen on the otherhand still have shark tournaments in San Diego. The TV news still has the video of the winner's Shark carcass on the pier, rotting in the sun, with their mouth propped open to help us all visualize how dangerous it is to be on a 65 foot "game fishing" yacth in shark infested waters.
Drives me to drink!

First shark I ever encountered was a Giant Hammerhead and I swam towards it...mainly because it was just at the limit of vis and I wanted a better look.

Also dived with lots of Raggies (Sand Tiger), a few Zambezi (Bull), some more Hammerheads, and then a Black Tip Reef shark

Evidently there are little guys up near us.
All the fishermen whine and cry cause ALL they catch are nurse sharks and 'dogfish'.
Do you think I've ever seen one? Nooooooo!
As for actually answering the question:
I don't think I have issues with sharks unless there is some putz chumming or spear fishing. I'd rather not get nipped by accident.
I LOVE the folks who tell me, "Well sharks don't EAT people, it's just a test bite."
Yeah, well, that 'test' could take my whole leg.
I'd rather meet the BIG guns off meal time, Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom