How are South Africa and Mozambique in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi guys,

Just returning from some great weeks in Palua I'm happily digging into information that can help me decide where to go next. The plan was south africa and mozambique from last week in june to 1st week of august. july. But but but...... when I look at the weather overviews it doesn't look too good. Do any of you have any experience around july? And what's the concequence for the diving?

Hi,

Well, its winter here so you can expect fewer bums on dive boats which can be a big plus depending on how you look at it.:D

But in all honesty, the coastal areas here dont have a serious winter, it may go down to a (considered real cold here) 14 degrees centigrade at night but expect the days to warm up to 25-28 degrees centigrade.

The diving here is generally much better in winter as the seas are calmer and the water usually cleaner.

Off the Aliwal Shoal (Natal) in June and July you can expect to dive with lots of Sharks as they follow the sardines up the coast (you may even get to dive with the sardine shoals) - a 5mm wetsuit is fine for this area.

In Mozambique you can expect lots of great coral reef dives and the occasional Basking shark and / or whale (various types) as they also move to warmer waters, a 3mm - 5mm suit is fine here.

If you intend to dive in Cape Town there are various Great White dives which are very active at this time - bring a 7mm wetsuit for this dive plus hood and gloves.

So in all, its actually the best dive time, the only cold place will be Johannesburg where you may want to do some touring (no diving there) where you can expect 3-5 degrees centigrade at night warming up to a balmy 20 in the day.

Let me know if you need more specific info let me know, happy to oblige.

Hi Katje
Have a look at this link link could help seasonal sighting chart mozambique what fish to see in mozambique
Also let me help you with all your bookings and accommodation it costs you no more to work through me I get a small commission from the destinations and I know the best ones
Send me your budget,when you will be here,how many of you and what you want to do and I will work an itinerary for you lorraine@toptravelafrica.com

Hi Katja

I was there last year at that time (unfortunately didn't get to Mozambiqaue as my flight was cancelled) but was in SA for the sardine run which was amazing. I had a 7mm on though and was always toasty warm. I think the water was around 19 degrees celcius. The weather where I was (a few hours south of Durban) was fantastic and mostly sunny. Cold getting up in the morning but worth it for the experience.

Hi Katja,

I was in SA last July and spent 10 days diving on aliwal and protea. The weather was nice when the sun was out but a bit cold at night, I dove in a 5mm full and had no issues of being cold. As previous posts have stated it's a lot quieter and I had some of the best dives ever seeing 100's of raggies as well as spending 4 days with Mark Addison diving with the Tigers, in fact I loved it so much I am going back on the 26th June to do the sardine run and then back up to Aliwal. You will not regret going at this time of the year...........ENJOY !!!!!!!! (Sharks Rule!!!)

Hi Katja
Where do you get your information? I live on the east coast of South Africa about 20km from Aliwal Shoal I also do a lot of diving in Mozambique it is part of my job ( lucky girl ) the end of July start Aug is probably one of the best times to to dive S.A. and Mozambique the best diving months are from now trough to December could be a bit windy in August. Water tep. 22c-24c land temp 24c-28c although you might get rain in Dec. Jan and Feb are Cyclone months in Mozambique have you visited this link for the Seasonal sighting chart http://www.guinjatabay.co.za/seasonal_sighting_chart.htm
I have offered to help you contact me

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your replies. We have agreed on going to south east asia this summer - and SA in december/january. This way we get the best weather :eek:)

If you flip those trips around you would have the best diving in both locations... Either way you will have lots of fun I'm sure! For diving in SE Asia head up to the Similans or even Burma.. For non-diving activities I highly recommend going to Laos. You won't want to come home..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom