How bad of a scuba gear hoarder are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife thinks I have a problem when it comes to buying tanks. I just bought a pair of Heathways lp72s from 1966. Waiting for a fresh hydro.
When I first started diving I thought it was dumb to dive with a 72 over an 80. Now I'm always keeping an eye out for steel 72's. Now I would buy a steel 72 in good condition over an AL 80 in good condition any day...and I have, more than once:wink:. The wife thinks it's strange that I normally do single tank/dive days but I own multiple tanks.

I’ve got the tank disease bad now...

Just ordered a pair of LP85s from DGX. :D

The Diveheart in our area takes all kinds of scuba gear, you just drop it at the local UPS store,

Hi @KathyV I like donating stuff to @DiveHeart too. Is there an agreement that UPS will forward stuff to them at your local UPS store? Is that a company-wide policy?

Although the amount of dive gear and tanks I have is somewhat staggering, do I consider myself dysfunctional? Absolutely not! However, after looking at all of my wife’s dive gear and tanks she is clearly suffering from a serious compulsive hoarding disorder. Sad.

Just curious how bad some of you might be suffering from this disease.
I had a bout pretty bad about 10-15 years ago where people were giving me all sorts of free gear, regs, tanks, old BC’s, etc.
I had boxes of the stuff and no way of actually diving it, not even some day. So I was forced to make hard decisions on what to sell and give away. I’m down to about 5 sets of regs now which I still can’t dive them all regularly but it’s as far as I’m willing to give up for now. I must confess however that I still have a “thing” for steel 72’s (3/4” O-ring valve, galvie, no liners or paint- hint:wink:)
I justify my 72 addiction as “running a steel 72 rescue center” for the better of humanity.
Does the term “if you know how many you have, then you don’t have enough” (of any certain type of equipment) mean that you have a problem?

I own three of your backplates, two of which don't fit me but I keep for loaners... That say enough?

That is disregarding the almost 40 regulator sets that mostly were all given to me...

If someone has their garage filled with nothing but dive gear floor to ceiling with no room for cars, a bedroom and hallways filled with more dive gear floor to ceiling with little pathways to get through, and a few storage containers filled in the back yard, plus a few rental storage units somewhere filled, then I would say they “might” have a problem. But this is subject to personal opinion.
To be honest, I would rather see that then know the stuff is in a landfill somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom