How big of a drysuit bubble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichmondKYdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed out this weekend for my first controlled drysuit dive. From what I understand, the bubble should be no larger than 1/2 a forearm length. Care to share your thoughts?? I'll be diving my, new to me, DUI.

I would start as small as is possible without hurting your comfort/restricting movement due to squeeze--easier to manage, easier to correct a problem if the bubble gets away from you.

From there you can figure out how much you want in the suit versus the wing and when/why (e.g., heavy steel tanks and a wreck with narrow passages? Maybe shrink the wing width by upping the suit bubble and going less gas in the wing) you might want to switch it up.

Okay, I'll bite. What is this 'bubble' you are referring to ?

What I was thinking! If you are referring to how much air to have in the suit, the answer is generally as little as possible. Anything more than just enough to avoid a squeeze takes on a life of its own, shifting around in the suit. As in a wetsuit, the key is to dial in your weight and just add air as you need too... And then vent it of course on your return.

I've been diving dry for the past 35 years and there's nothing like it once you get the hang of the suit. They all behave differently, but the biggest difference is between a membrane suit and a neoprene one...

Have fun! (And don't let your feet get away from you!) :wink:

A very wise diver told me once, use just enough air to relieve the squeeze. Your BCD is designed to control your buoyancy. It will take air in faster and vent air faster than your drysuit.

The suite should take in air at the same rate as your BCD. Both can inflate way faster than you will ever need.
Exhausting air out is a different issue and the reason you need to be careful about how much air you have in your suite so you don't get into a runaway ascent.

Thanks gang, just looking for that gem of knowledge from someone:wink:

From studying, asking, researching.....I'll be diving with my DM instructor (also a drysuit diver) it seems most people are saying, much as the DUI material says, keep the exhaust valve fully open, keep the bubble small, go vertical, hold your right arm up and the bubble should be no larger that half the length of your forearm. Use just enough air to do away with the squeeze (haven't felt it so don't know what to expect), do a buoyancy check and use the wing for buoyancy. Sound about right? I'm sure, just as any new major piece of equipment...as in diving double for the first time...I'll feel buoyancy rookie :confused:

Ballpark, after ya'll (KY thing) dialed in the air used to offset squeeze, how much additional weight are you using.....while letting the wing control buoyancy??

I'll diving a Dive Rite single wing with backplate, 80 al this weekend. My other setup will be my overhead environment setup, double wing, backplate, v-weight, al doubles.

I think you have captured the essence of the whole thing.

Don't get too deep too soon. If you mess up you don't want a long ride to the top.

Extra weight depends on your prior wet set-up and the new suit & garments. Where most drysuit divers are looking for more warmth than their wet gear could ever provide so needing more is just about inevitable. The difference is probably in the 5 - 25 range if that's any help.

Pete

FYI: When you are vertical in shallow water, you will feel the squeeze on your legs. If does not take much difference in depth when you are shallow. Once you go horizontal at a reasonable depth, it will even out.

I would not spend too much time trying to objectively measure the bibble, often it comes down to desired warmth. A little extra gas allows your garments to maintain a nice warm layer of air. Too little you get colder and more restricted. Too much and the bubble gets moving around and messing with your trim. It is very subjective and will take a few dives to figure out your sweet spot. The type and thickness of the undergarments play a big role as well as the fit of the dry suit.

Thanks gang. Yep, I'll be diving rather shallow on Saturday. I plan on working on getting horizontal, descending, working on adding gas, moving it around and "trying" to find that sweet spot and try and keep that feel at different depths. Gonna start with 25 lbs total and work it out from that point. Should be an "educational" weekend playing around in 45 degree water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom