How can you create underwater maps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy:
Do any of you know of a SIMPLE and FREE (or cheap or already owned) program that would allow me to "draw" my underwater map? That is, in essence, an electronic "graph paper" that would allow me to put a point "HERE" and then say, put a point 32 feet away on a course of 320degrees and Presto, the next point is generated and ready for labelling.

I searched for a program like this a few months ago and did not find anything. :(

While you may eventually drag ropes all over the reef (carefully avoiding contact with the reef, of course), for the first pass you can just use kick cycles.

This worked pretty good for a rather complicated shaped reef with a well defined sand to reef outline. I just did a series of straight line approximatons of the reef and recorded bearing and # of frog kicks for each segment. EG: 10k @ 240, 15K @ 200, 8 K @040, 4K @ 090, 12 K at 160.

Back at home I plotted those out, using the XY coordinate info in Photoshop Elements. You could use just about any program for that.

A key check is to cross back and forth across the reef now and then to create "closed loops" or paths. Then you can compare the endpoint when you plot out one set of segments with where you end up going the other path. Just using kick counts I was usually within 5% on final accuracy.

You can calibrate your kick cycles one time with a known distance rope to get the proper distance scale.

--------------------

I would make the map, put it in a ziplock bag or laminate it, then go do a dive and check it's accuracy and add in some more features.

Gradually you build up a pretty good map, both on paper and in your mind.

With a compass, tape measue, depth gauge and a solid grasp of trigonometry coupled with a lot of breathing gas.

Oh, and a good dive buddy, too!

the K

travelmadness:
wow i really wish i had some detailed maps on some of my dives. sometimes i end up wondering where the heck i am!

Will have something cool to show @ ScubaShow!

I_AM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom