How Crazy am I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not crazy at all. Well, at least not with regard to diving in 52 degree water! I would do it without hesitation, but I have been called crazy. Wait a minute, what AM I saying. :confused6

fndmylove:
My guess on bottom time is under 35 mins.

35 minutes at 52*? No way, Circleville is only 18 feet deep! Ought to be able to do an hour, at least!

Notso_Ken:
35 minutes at 52*? No way, Circleville is only 18 feet deep! Ought to be able to do an hour, at least!

my guess had nothing to do with depth...just the temp.

fndmylove:
my guess had nothing to do with depth...just the temp.
Do you have much experience diving 6.5mm suits at that temp? I'd consider 52 well within the comfortable range for that suit, especially so if it's a 2-piece.

Have a great dive!

Yes, my last 20 dives were between 44-55F in a 5/7. Each individual's ability to deal with cold water is a bit different. We will see how he shapes up when he reports back.

I'm not making any inferences about you, but I'm a real skinny dude, so I tend to get colder quicker than others. That said, I'm not a little girl, so I can withstand it for quite a while.

52 isn't any big deal. I've done repetitive dives wet in water temps 10 degrees colder. Be careful not to go too deep. The compression of the suit will really get to you. I'd suggest you stay shallower than 60', 45' would be even better.

If the surface temps are somewhat warm that really helps. If not, I'd suggest you have some very warm (not hot) water to pour into the suit before you dive, especially for the repetitive dives where the suit is wet and cold.

OK...

First off.... the web site says 52 on Sunday, LDS said 55 Degs.... My Back Side!

Try 43-45 Deg.

That said the other two guys with me dove dry.

After 40 minutes they decided they were done.
I was fine, well except for my fingers were a little cold, and my lips were numb.

I think they were colder than I was. Heck I did not even go through half of my tank.

Vis was only about 10 maybe 15 feet.

Average depth was 15 feet. and max depth was 21 feet.

darn, I was five mins off

OH-JJ:
OK...

First off.... the web site says 52 on Sunday, LDS said 55 Degs.... My Back Side!

Try 43-45 Deg.

That said the other two guys with me dove dry.

After 40 minutes they decided they were done.
I was fine, well except for my fingers were a little cold, and my lips were numb.

I think they were colder than I was. Heck I did not even go through half of my tank.

Vis was only about 10 maybe 15 feet.

Average depth was 15 feet. and max depth was 21 feet.

You found the deep spot! Deepest I ever found there was 18'. 10-15 foot vis is about average from my experience there.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom