How dangerous are triggerfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was a spearfisherman in the Bahamas, about 10 years ago. I once kille about eight Triggers in a row. Queens, Titans, Ocean Triggers, any Trigger, made good trigger practice that day. As they love to lean over to keep one eye on you, one eye on the whole, their diamond shape makes shooting them ridiculously easy (hence not good sport). So I only did it the one day to feed this dinner party. But one Trigger I didn't kill bang on, he got off the spear and into his hole. And he put up his trigger alright. Well I shoved my hand into the whole, and got it around his lower body, Well I pulled and pulled but he just wouldn't budge. Finally, I gave a big heave and ripped the **** out of my hand trying to get him out. Blood everywhere. I was so mad, on the way back, I killed all of his/her buddies that got in my way, even if I wasn't gonna eat them. Kind of like Clint in the last scene of "Unforgiven".

What's the moral of this story? If a Mama Titan wants to get rough, I will make a filet out of her.

Whilst I was instructing / divemastering on Ko Tao we has several dive sites where you could guarantee getting chased / attacked every dive by either titan triggerfish or the supposedly harmless yellow margin triggerfish.
Anyone whose dived there will be aware there it a titan t.f on Shark island (KT) that actually waits by the bouyline for divers on the descent (I' ve seen it do it!), the same triggerfish knocked unconcious a dm.
Also on KT there's another t.f they've called Trevor on White Rock, this one is great fun as it will chase you for ages regardless of if you're near its nest or if you're not even trying to wind it up.

On the whole I would say t.f make diving more interesting once you've dived the same site more than a few times and any blood injuries they inflict are reasonably rare. :eek:ut:

lol I've been wondering about this question myself, since triggers are extremely plentiful in my front yard (Lauderdale by the Sea), and I've seen their feeding habits. I've brought frozen shrimp and squid for cheat-photo ops, and I'll tell you they'll swim right into your goody bag for treats.

They never approach directly - seem to know my business end - but I've gone for my bag and found two of them yanking on squid tenticles so they're not afraid to approach divers.

I don't normally feed fish for obvious reasons, but these experiences made me wonder if they wouldn't 'taste' me if given the opportunity. They sure seem to watch divers closely for a while; maybe they expect us to kill something and they'll get a little of the leftovers.

All I know is that I dive almost every day with them and I've never been nipped. I'd sure like to know their mating season, though, because given their boldness and ability to tear a squid up I wouldn't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have had some experience with Titan Trigger Fish on Koh Tao. As a DM leading divers I have had aggresive encounters more than a few times. I have not been bit, but it was clear to me I was not welcome.

Ive also seen a fin with holes all the way through where a trigger fish has bitten. For real, no BS.

Whenever I would come to a nesting site I would always fin back to avoid the area if possible. I would personally not hesitate to dive with Triggerfish. Just watch your backside!

I would have to agree with Crispos that I would rather eat a triggerfish , than be eaten by one. Strictly a matter of preference but I prefer to dine on seafood than have it dine on me. Has anyone ever dined on Titan Triggerfish?

One of the boat captains went spear fishing and managed to get one of the more aggressive t.f on green rock (Ko tao), he chucked it away and the general opinion seemed to be that their meat is so riddled with parasites that they're just about the last thing you'd want to eat!

DORSETBOY once bubbled...
the general opinion seemed to be that their meat is so riddled with parasites ...

No wonder why they are so ill-tempered!

I only have a story with regards to TF behavior. Several years ago we were in Cozumel, diving with the stereotypical ass&%ole diver. He was bragging and touting his skills. During the dive, the DM caputured a trigger fish, and was passing it around the group to hold and look at. This Dumba$$ stuck his finger in the fish's mouth. It bit down and held on! All I could see in his mask were his eyeballs. I almost spit my reg out laughing. When we surfaced the first thing he said was "that F%^&*ing fish bit me! I guess if you REALLY want to get bit just go to the source...

To those who think triggers are harmless, you couldn't be more wrong!

Dorsetboy's stories about incidents on Koh Tao are legendary here! Divers have been known to have chunks taken out of their calfs, arms, heads, fins and knocked unconcious! No bull!

I started my DMT on Koh Tao yesterday, keen to make a good impression and all that, was shepherding some charters, the next thing I knew I felt something grab me round the ankle. Having worked at another dive centre, I thought it was someone pissing about trying to make me scared, the next thing I knew I was in excrutiating pain, I looked round and a f'ing big titan trigger (who is now known to me as Trevor) is having a human leg kebab for lunch! The pain was so intense that I bit the teeth grips off my mouthpiece. I horizontally started to swim away from trev, who took to work on my left fin whilst I'm trying to boot him and get away, he pulled the fin off my foot!!! I was holding my right leg with my left hand as my muscle was spasoming (well hurting like a bastard) and I didn't know the extent of the injury, he seemed to want some left foot toes for his desert!

I had to manouver with 1 arm and 1 fin in the weirdest of fin/arm strokes, whilst sticking my alternate in my mouth. Now I did have a knife on me, but I couldn't get to the bad boy as it was on my inner right ankle. If I stopped kicking with my fin, then my toes would be in trev's belly. This went on for around 2 mins, he just wouldn't give up, he just wanted me to suck my tank dry then eat me, he seemed to lose interest then and did one. Trevor is known not to be teretorial, just a devil worshiper. Scumbag. I refound the group whilst ascending and told the guide I was in the ****e and gonna head back. I was in agony. Using my new found fin/arm stroke, I crawled back to the boat to live another day. I couldn't believe that when I looked down at my leg there was just a little trickle of blood. He's bruised/damaged my muscle though. Then I realised he'd been chomping where my knife was! I was thinking of not bothering to wear it too!

What a first day for a DMT eh! I'm lucky that I didn't manage to get my knife out, Trevor is an international legend by all accounts and being stabbed to death by a DMT on his first day would've meant the same fate would have probably happened to him. If at not least, my bus fare home and a kick goodbye.

In all fairness though, apparently this was the first attack for some time now.

:rofL: - I love the way you told the story, Dazle, even thought it must have been a cow of an experience - for the shock of it as well as the pain! Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful friendship between you and Trev the Trigger.

Back
Top Bottom