• 75-100 ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • 100+ ft

Votes: 71 32.1%
  • How deep is the titanic again?

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
Just an opinion... I think 100+ is to deep for an al 80 and air.

I agree. Single tank deep diving is truly a bad idea.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
I agree. Single tank deep diving is truly a bad idea.
Truely DIW...

Tom did you notice that when we had a post of *200 ft on a single 80 air cylinder* we didn't hand him his head...

That was probably because the post also contained the words dumb stupid lucky :D

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Truely DIW...

Tom did you notice that when we had a post of *200 ft on a single 80 air cylinder* we didn't hand him his head...

That was probably because the post also contained the words dumb stupid lucky :D

Correct, he handed out his own head first :)

I'm also still used to other lists where heads are removed more often. Here it's done in a nicer way!

However though, I still think that a guy who does deep air, with proper equipment and techniques (disregarding the air itself...) is going to be reluctant to share his or her feelings on this subject. That applies not just here, but in any public forum. I KNOW there's a bunch of folks out there doing it but they're mostly silent now-a-days. Probably this is for the ultimate good.

Tom

True, many permanently. Natural selection perhaps. I can only do my best not to add my own name to that particular list.

Tom

Many permanently...
And I agree with you...

I am new to this board but really I don't personally see what all the fuss is about when talking about 100-130 foot dives. Now for me I have done several dives at these depths (123 being the deepest) because that was what the dive site and plan called for. Maybe I am just lucky but I did not notice any narcosis on my dives. I understand that others may get narced at 85 so then it would be an issue. It seems to me that the training agencies have created this myth about 100 feet. To me that is dangerous because really there is no real difference between 100 feet and 85 feet (with the exception of increased chance of narcosis). It is sort of like the sound barrier. Because of this fictional bogey man many divers get hung up on artifical benchmark when they shouldreally be more concerned with how comfortable they feel about their skills in the context of the dive. If they feel narced then go shallower. As for what is there to see at these depths - on some sites plenty. Dive the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico and the really big fish are at these and greater depths. I have done some 100+ wall dives as well and there was plenty to see. Don't dive deep just to dive deep because as others have said it does decrease your bottom time if using air. However, don't be afraid to because of some arbitrary benchmark. Go by how you feel as a diver. As an aside, I am only BOW and do not believe it takes any special training to dive 100-130 feet. I am as careful at 40 feet as I am at 120. Like I said, there is no real difference between 100 and 85. My 2 cents (or was it a dime).

Originally posted by Solomon
Maybe I am just lucky but I did not notice any narcosis on my dives. I understand that others may get narced at 85 so then it would be an issue. It seems to me that the training agencies have created this myth about 100 feet. To me that is dangerous because really there is no real difference between 100 feet and 85 feet (with the exception of increased chance of narcosis). It is sort of like the sound barrier.
Solomon just because you could not discern the narcotic effects of the nitrogen doesn't mean that you were not impaired... it just means that you lack discernment. Narcosis is not a threshold event like the sound barrier as you suppose. As the PP of nitrogen increases so does the narcotic effect and it is insidious in that it first of all robs you of awareness. Your circle of awarness diminishes and though you can (at the earliest stages) still focus clearly on what is central to your thinking you are oblivious to your surroundings. Those with discernment can regonize this at much shallower depths and can compensate to a degree for the impairment. I know guys that can pick up on what is happening as shallow as 60 fsw... not by what is seen or felt but by what is not. It takes practice.

But narcosis is just one of the hazards that diving deep on a single cylinder of air presents. It is the other hazards that will get you into real trouble... and narcosis could keep you from being aware of the situation and taking preemptive action. The chain of events that finally leads to a diving accident needs to be stopped at the earliest possible moment. Narcosis might not kill you... but it might cause you to be unaware of the little events that trigger the cascade of failures.

I believe you when you say that you are as careful at 40 feet as you are at 120 feet... the opposite unfortunately is not the case no matter what you think.

And interesting experiment which few will get the chance to try but would actually be a big help in teaching discernment:
At 80 fsw breath for a few minutes off of a helium mix and then switch back to air.

Hey Tom, where's my head chopper?

Hehehe, he didn't get narced because he hasn't been deep yet. I've got him beat on a snorkel =-)

Seriously, you both make good points. Solomon's right, little difference between 85 and 100. I agree with this. On the other hand, I like your statement "Narcosis might not kill you... but it might cause you to be unaware of the little events that trigger the cascade of failures". That's quotable!

When I talk about deep diving, I don't mean 100'. That's not deep.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom