How deep does a diver go usually?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,usually,how deep does a diver go underwater?
And how deep there isn't enough sunlight?

Hello Even.

How deep we go is based on our training, but ultimately limited by physics. Recreational divers with advanced open water training are limited to about 40 meters or 120 feet. With basic open water training the limit is 20 meters or 60 feet. Our young divers age 12 and under are limited to 12 meters or about 40 feet. These limits limits are all based on a diver using normal 21% air.

Sunlight fades away at various depths depending on water clarity, but with clear water the sun will reach down to about 180 to 200 meters or 600-660 feet.

It looks like you're going to do some diving soon. Congratulations Even!!! ... enjoy the dives and keep yourself safe. As you've already learned, proper training is a must.

Welcome to Scubaboard and PLEASE!!! ... remember us as you take classes and make progress. We all look forward to reading about your adventures as you learn to dive and experience what thrives under the surface.

Cheers :)

Usually... for me... I go as deep as I have to.

For most divers, there is much to do and plenty to see from 15-60 feet deep. There is generally the most abundant sea life and pretty reefs in this depth range.

Even at 200 feet... There is still natural light, but that depends on what kind of water you're diving in. Recreational divers don't usually go deeper than 120 feet. :wink:

Usually... for me... I go as deep as I have to.

For most divers, there is much to do and plenty to see from 15-60 feet deep. There is generally the most abundant sea life and pretty reefs in this depth range.

Even at 200 feet... There is still natural light, but that depends on what kind of water you're diving in. Recreational divers don't usually go deeper than 120 feet. :wink:

Howard, how do we know that it's really you in there? Does that helmet have a visor? :idk:

Hey, that could be like asking Darth Vader to show himself - it might not be pretty.

----

As noted above, there is often enough light to see at 200' in good visibility. In really bad visibility it can be black at 20'.

The apparent color however is another issue. Light toward the red end of the visible spectrum is absorbed fairly quickly and you start losing red colors in 20-30 ft of water. At 100' mostly you will just have blues and greens unless you bring along your own light source.

As deep as our training, I like that response

Even, you ask how deep does a diver go? So not knowing your awareness, you gas supply (air) is how deep you plan your dive. After an extreme depth you breathe modified gas supply, and have to stay in the water and come up slow so not to get bent.

Sunlight is gone at 120' where I live and dive, It went to 160' ta 180' sometimes. When you look up it has this small slight light comming down.

In a lake usually lights out shallow, some lakes are like the tropics and you see forever your eyeballs can take in.

Happy Diving

Sunlight can be gone at 20m or shallower in lots of places. Depends on water clarity.

The good news is that for the majority of divers, the majority of what they want to see is probably no deeper that 75-80 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom