How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

109' off Vancover Island, BC. Was diving with the harbor seals and on the way back to the boat saw a gorgeous wall.
Other than that, I usually do not see a reason to go that deep.

141 in the Great Blue Hole in Belize. I went to say I have been there I guess, it always read like a great dive in the guides. In retrospect the atoll diving around the Hole is superb, and I would have rather saved my bottom time for those dives. Mostly I am a shallow guy, I prefer double digits, that is where the action is on most of the sites I dive.

Having said that:
143 ft "Hole in the wall" Jupiter Fl 2008
How was that dive? I have read a bit about that site, it does sound like one I wouldn't mind putting in my log book. I heard the diving there is pretty good.

Q: "How deep have you gone?"

A: Too deep

Q: "Why?"

A: I was an idiot in my 20s.

127ft in a quarry. Did it because I had never been deeper than 90ft (during my deep cert), and I wanted to retrieve some skeet that folks missed last tme they went shooting. Although this particular quarry has nothing in it, 5ft vis from the surface to 90ft and then pitch black to the bottom, I still like it for some reason :lotsalove:

Well, now that I have done my AOW training and have been in the ocean (my deepest QUARRY around here is only 63 feet to the very bottom) I can post on this thread without saying something silly (perviously it was 32 feet) :)

During the deep dive, we went to 112 feet at Kona to do the deep dive test stuff. Only stayed there for 5 minutes. We went down to this area they use for that dive that has a good sand bottom to play that little "this is what happens when you get narked" game, then we slowly ascended along the bottom to 45 feet where we finished up the dive looking at wildlife... the whole dive lasted a whopping 28 minutes due to the air burn at that depth.

The next day we went down (briefly) to 83 feet to look at garden eels (very cool) but only stayed down a couple minutes before going back up to 30 feet to play look at fish and corals.

I have absolutely zero desire to go back down anywhere near that deep on an AL80 again, my air consumption was scary fast.

The kind of stuff I want to see is in the top 60 feet anyway.

130 fsw La Jolla Shores for my deep dive cert just a few months ago. If it hadn't been a perfect weather day, it would have just been another cold dark SoCal dive, with a side order of extra cold and dark :) But the weather gods smiled, and there was more light at 130 that day than at 80 or even 60 on any dive I've had there in the past year. The viz was also a very unusual 25-30'. Made the whole trip worth it. Who knew there were that many critters down there?

Prior to that, about 90' at Kona, and most of the time 50-80' around San Diego. Oh, that first "oh my god that's what a wall is!!!" dive in Provo back in 1993, where we hit 80 when we thought we were at 50.

So yeah, it's not about the depth, its about going to the depth you need to, to see what you want to see. And getting the training to do that safely.

130 feet on the Deep Diver course. May 26 in Nova Scotia, 33 degrees bottom, 7 mil farmer john.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom