How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 6 weeks ago my friend took me to 90' for my adventure deep dive requirement as part of my AOW training. We were at Lake Amistad where vis was about 20' and temp about 70'. Great dive!

40.5m, Bodrum Turkey. Narced as hell, but very nice dive! Why? ... to set a personal record. :lotsalove:

32m, 105ft. There were grey nurse sharks cruising the gutters and we were told to stick to the walls or hug the bottom if we encountered any. Looking back that was only my 20th dive and was only PADI OW certified. I certainly had a false sense of security.

I completed my AOW and 50th dive this weekend and have a far, far greater respect for that same depth now. As Rumsfeld would say, there are known knowns, there are things we know we don't know and then there are the unknowns we don't know about (to paraphrase, loosely).

I was skeptical about the need for AOW for the entire past year, given that I had already been to 32m and hadn't died (I know, I know...) I was lucky to have an excellent instructor and am convinced that it's the best money I've spent this year. I got nitrogen narcosis at 28m, the only one out of a group of 4. I think the instructor could tell my the huge grin on my face and the fact that I was giggling to myself while trying to do a skills test. Now I know first-hand the sort of carelessness that it can lead to, and understand my own ability (or lack of) much better.

270 feet on the wall at Grand Cayman to see the wreck of the Carrie Lee using a closed circuit rebreather and 10/50 trimix diluent.

Boy it's tricky to follow this in "ft" when I'm used to metres...

It seems to me though that there isn't that much Kamikaze diving going on amongst you guys.

...a...

110 metres, Song Hong cave in Thailand

I know that sport divers should limit their dives to 120ft or less. But many times there is something you really want to see at a greater depth or maybe you just want to prove something. The deepest I have gone on a regular dive was 130ft. doing a tunnel dive in Grand Cayman (tunnel started at 80 at the top of the reef and came out at 130 on a wall). The deepest I have ever been was a 200 bounce dive in Florida to earn a "deep diver" patch and certificate from a NASDS shop in 1972. I swam down a rope to pull a flag off at 200ft. ....... had a safety diver at 50ft. and another at 100ft (this was a very planned dive).

I dropped down to 130 feet in the Blue Hole in Belize. I wanted to see the cool stalactites -- there's not much else to see there at that depth.

147 ft.

Was diving a wreck in Truk Lagoon that had old cars down in a cargo hold... went down a staircase... around the cars and saw I was at 147ft...

I haven't yet found a good reason to go any deeper... but I'm sure I may some day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom