How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

90 feet. There was a nice 70ft reef that eventually dropped off an additional 20ft. The other 2 guys seemed interested as well so we checked it out since we all had computers and sufficient air. :)

102 feet at North Monastery in Carmel, CA...did a deep dive there the previous day to 87 feet and saw that the reef all along the wall there extends down quite a bit so I wanted to check out a deeper portion of the reef that looked like it had a lot of sponges and anemones on it (which it did). It's definitely a gray area sometimes as to whether the depth is for bragging rights or for a purpose. Could I have seen the same stuff on a reef at 85 feet? Maybe, but I figure diving is about exploring within the limits of one's training anyhow.

So far, about 160'/50m with doubles on air and an EAN50 pony, at Fish Bowl in Puerto Galera, PI - runtime about 55 minutes. Loved it

Reason: That's where the dive site was, doubles/deco training dive, gaining more narcosis experience (which I think alone is a good reason to dive deep regardless of whether you could se the same stuff shallower, which I could have)

I'm returning to the Philippines next month and planning a 210'/65m dive at Verde Island

Reason: Advanced deco training course - the wall goes down further but I'm not keen on going deeper due to the increased probability of oxygen toxicity-related CNS issues (on air) below that depth

I have a very experienced instructor friend who does a solo dive on his birthday every year, down to the number of metres coinciding with his age. He turned 69 this year

96ft off the east coast of florida going for lobsters most of the time, and once to get the anchor unstuck from a rock.

My deepest was 243ft down the Tinoto wall, It was not a planned dive but a rescue and tank recovery! An American Dive Master with 70 plus dives and his own full gear and my tank asked if we could go a bit deep as he had only been down to about 90 ft! I agreed and told him to lead and I would follow, I told him that when he reached his comfort depth we would have a short swim around and then a slow ascent back to the surface!
As he passed 150 feet I signalled him to stop but he did not respond and I realized I had a probable Narc Problem and he was decending faster! I swam down fast and got my tank valve and showed him the depth on my computer, 243ft but he was out of it! I eased him back to a shallower depth where he was OK! After the dive he asked why his computer was in error mode but he did not believe my explanation! Luckily there was no later problems with either of us but I have always since then been too busy when he has asked to dive again on future vacations!
I could have lost a good tank there if he had gone past 250 ft as that was my decided cut off for any dive! I have never had the interest in really deep dives, that was a one off!

The "deepest" question is generally a poor question.

A better question could have been "How deep have you gone more than once (or few times)?"

That would better tease out the guy who normally only dives to ~100fsw, but might have the occasional excursion to ~125 if something warrants it, which doesn't have much bearing to their personal depth record of ~150 on an AL80 from a decade ago.

-hh

7 dives to 200-210 feet on Cayman.

Why? The overhanging walls encrusted with sponges are just amazing.

Why no deeper? PO2 at 200 feet was 1.4 ( 20/35 mix)

Back
Top Bottom