How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100' for AOW class
95' ... to look at the forward gun turret on the destroyer Yukon in Wreck Alley
85' ... next to Vallecitos Point, La Jolla Canyon ... because I saw some stuff down there :wink:
Oct 21 2007, Dry Tortugas .. 107ft to touch the WWII freighter Baja California, sunk by a German U-Boat .. very cool

I once went 153 ft on a ice dive. Didn't have much of a choice because I was a tethered to someone who was determined to go 153 feet. I was very narced due to cold, depth and the stress and would never do it again. Last weekend I was diving with 3 guys and guys want to go deep for the sake of going deep. They wanted to go to 200 feet in a quarry. I've learned my lesson. I waited at 80 feet for them to come back. My dive buddy knows if he wants to do something stupid he can count on me to go to the surface and call 911. I won't go looking for him and risk my life.

I once went 153 ft on a ice dive. Didn't have much of a choice because I was a tethered to someone who was determined to go 153 feet. I was very narced due to cold, depth and the stress and would never do it again. Last weekend I was diving with 3 guys and guys want to go deep for the sake of going deep. They wanted to go to 200 feet in a quarry. I've learned my lesson. I waited at 80 feet for them to come back. My dive buddy knows if he wants to do something stupid he can count on me to go to the surface and call 911. I won't go looking for him and risk my life.

I don't think I would like having your dive buddy as a dive buddy.....

Mine was 110 on the Munson wreck in lake Ontario for my advance certy. Most of my dives are about 70 to 80 feet. Diving deeper with a single doesn't leave much time so I prefer the shallower dives untill I go with doubles. Even then 110 is good for me I see no reason for myself to go deeper, I just want to stay longer and enjoy the view.

106 ft in Cozumel just to say I was below 100 ft. Just slid down the wall with another diver a few feet from the 95 ft dive plan.

107 to see some Hammerheads in La Paz. Unfortunately, I was out of position and didn't see them. My brother was just about 5 strokes ahead and saw a group of them at the edge of the vis. A small amount of dives more right at 95-100 feet for different reasons.

Most of my dives are 45-80 feet.

I have been to about 100 feet. I was just off the molokini crater and a lot of interesting things to see there. I would agree that without a reason its rather pointless. A lot more to see usually at around 40 feet or less.

I once went 153 ft on a ice dive. ......They wanted to go to 200 feet in a quarry. I've learned my lesson. I waited at 80 feet for them to come back. My dive buddy knows if he wants to do something stupid he can count on me to go to the surface and call 911. I won't go looking for him and risk my life.

Smart move not to go, if you don't feel it's right.
The question is do we dive for a depth record or for fun?

I did some deep dives too, but with the tech guys I trusted, the deepest was about 240ft, but it was well planned ahead, like any tech dive we did. We knew exactly what was going to be the next min or sec of our dive. Also if one of us wanted to abort the dive at any stage, we would all go safely up.
Then I dove once with a local guy here, who had no idea about mixed gasses or depth (I found later), he was going down and down with really bad equipment. When we hit 180 I signaled, that's it - let's go up. He said no and continued going deeper. I told him one more time and since he didn't want to turn back, I left him. I didn't want to risk my life for a stranger that was very irresponsible. Eventually when he saw me going up he followed me to a safer depth and on surface asked me if I heard the songs under water - obviously narced and had no idea what that means. He called me few times after to go deep diving with him, but I've never gone again.

100 feet to see a wreck. 85 feet to see cool fish. A lot of dives in the 60 to 65 feet area. No reason to go deep if nothing there. I've had great dives at 30 feet and great dives deep. Depends on what there is to see. I will probably never go past 130 feet.

Back
Top Bottom