How deep have you gone and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it's quite an irritating obsession..... for some reason people think it's 'cool' to go deep for no reason. I've got nothing against deep, in fact I plan on getting certified for mix, but not just for the heck of it, but because there are some really cool wrecks down there.

Sigh.

150 feet at Turtle Reef Grand Cayman, as part of our tech class certification dives.

Why? Saw a few years back Bikini Atoll being open to diving tourism, thought we'd do the classes to make sure this is something that would fit our perspectives, and have experience on this before travelling many miles to a remote land (even though they say they have successfully done the Bikini wreck dives with many AOW certified divers without incident). Travel, and (increasingly) remote travel, and diving, are our main vacation themes to get away from hectic work lives.

Maybe 2 or 3 years from now for Bikini for us - might do Truk in 2005 with our instructor though. Gotta finish out 2004 first and reset the vacation clocks.

Mine was on the Molokini back wall and I hit about 118ft. but could have gone much deeper. There were reef sharks down there.

200fsw. 7000ton 440foot tanker torpedoed in WWII 70% intact. Most of my dives are in 80-150fsw (that is where the wrecks are). Water is too cold to do hours of decompression. Deep dives are never done on air. That just ain't cool!
JK

WarmWaterDiver:
Why? Saw a few years back Bikini Atoll being open to diving tourism, thought we'd do the classes to make sure this is something that would fit our perspectives, and have experience on this before travelling many miles to a remote land (even though they say they have successfully done the Bikini wreck dives with many AOW certified divers without incident).
Been to Bikini this summer. Awesome diving! Certification is not really an issue, but diving experience is. PM me if you want to know more.

Back in "95 when I was younger and much more stupid we were in Honduras. We did a wall dive that took me down to 133 feet. My Suunto Eon was asking me if I was stupid at that point. Total dive time was about 40 minutes. Most of that was in the 25-35 foot depths in a coral garden.

Today I would not do that dive without better planing and redundant air supply.

Back
Top Bottom