• 60 - 80 feet

Votes: 63 35.8%
  • 80 - 100 feet

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • deeper then 100 feet

Votes: 39 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my recent dives have been wrecks in the 40m range but I am just as happy bimbling along a reef in 5-10m. I will go down to 65-70m if there is something worth seeing there but I prefer shallower dives (deco can be boring).

I indicated an average of 40-60, because that would be literally true.

But an average is most useful where the distribution of numbers is bell-shaped. I dive about equally in various categories, so my distribution of depths would be flat, equally divided among:

Quarry dives, around 30 feet
Quarry, river, reef, wreck dives around 60 feet
Wreck dives around 100 feet

Diving in the PNW (AOW w/ an EANx card I've not used... on my next dive trip, though!!), my max depth is usually around 90 (mostly due to diving with buddies who are air hogs *wink*). I like the dive sets where you go deep but short to see something first, then waste out your tank at 40ish and then do a nice long dive to 50-60 for the second dive.

I like to hang out for long periods of time and really search for and stare at the little critters. So for me, depth hasn't really mattered much. Wherever the critters are.

My maximum and average depth vary depending on what subjects I am filming. When I was filming for an episode on "deep ecology," I routinely dove to 180-200 ft to find my subjects. Currently I am filming the "night shift" and my maximum depth rarely exceeds 50 ft.

I usually like to dive to the same depth as the shipwreck I'm visiting.

What can you say about depth in the "Basic SCUBA Discussion Area?" The maximum depth is dependent upon a person's training and experience. The recommended maximum limit for recreational diving is 130'.

As I really like diving wrecks, I often dive well over 100'. The maximum depth is dependent upon the wreck in-question, the mixtures that are available to dive with (and if I'm the one paying for it). :)

most of my dives go beyond the 40 mtere range as most of them are mixed gas dives of late but I also enjoy a good hovering at 3-8 metres looking at the flora and fauna along the reef for as long as my Gas will hold, love wrecks too.
like many others said, depending on what I'm doing on that dive.
So I guess it comes to any depth as long as I can wet my gills :cool2: .
oh, and if I am ready in all aspects to perform that dive :)

Depends on how 'deep the bottom is' where I'm diving.....

Most of the wrecks we dive in the Great Lakes are in the 150-200 foot range. Some deeper and some shallower but the most of the best ones seem to fall into that category.

Back
Top Bottom