how deep max. when diving solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shouldn't the depth you dive be a direct function of your bailout?....ie you dive what you have reserves for?

It can be - you certainly would not want to go lower than your reserves in my opinion.

My thought is regardless of bailout - pony - some folks do not push the depth limit on Solo diving - there is no right or wrong answer to this thread. It is only right or wrong for you - and when you are going Solo - mental preparedness is most important regardless of depth - if you are comfortable go for it - if not you are not impressing your buddy although he will always be there for you. :D

Shouldn't the depth you dive be a direct function of your bailout?....ie you dive what you have reserves for?

Indeed it should, but some of us carry a lot of bailout.

I think it's more accurate to say that your pony/bailout should be a direct function of your dive plan.

I routinely dive the Castor solo in Boynton Beach, 100-110 feet

A video from a solo dive I did on that (the Castor) wreck. I set the camera down for some shots

[video=youtube_share;3Fhqr4yePLw]http://youtu.be/3Fhqr4yePLw?list=PLjC5PqdqiSg4MQt9lCrPZse7eAgDHwqO W[/video]

I dive mostly in the New River and so depths rarely exceed 60 feet. I spend the majority of time above 40 feet and frequently practice emergency accent procedures.

I love solo diving! It helps me stay sane and helps with the arthritis.... I usually stay within 100 feet.
Did a nice dive this weekend (attached video) to 97 feet and felt wonderful. My most memorable solo dive was on the U1277 U Boat at 103 feet and being "investigated by a great white for about 5 minutes while on the wreck... Didn't see him any more after that and the deco stops felt very long.

[video=youtube;S4MGyU3Ky6g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4MGyU3Ky6g[/video]

My most memorable solo dive was on the U1277 U Boat at 103 feet and being "investigated by a great white for about 5 minutes while on the wreck... Didn't see him any more after that and the deco stops felt very long.

I'm hard put to even imagine such a thing. We're taught that humans aren't any shark's natural prey, that we look & sound alien and our bubbles are off-putting to marine life, and sharks can be curious, plus shark attack fatalities are incredibly rare when you consider the number of people in the water.

All that said, if it keeps coming around for 5 minutes, and I'm the only thing that seems to be around, I'd think I was being at least tentatively considered as a hunting prospect. I might have to send up a little brown decoy to throw him off the scent...

Richard.

Yes, it was a weird feeling alright... and he was a big boy too! My friend who was in the boat waiting for me told me he also got a quick glimpse of him on the surface. He was concerned for me and he told me he kept looking for my bubbles and figured as long as there were bubbles I was ok... LOL :rofl3::jaws:

Not much he could do anyway he's not a diver...

...... I might have to send up a little brown decoy to throw him off the scent...Richard.

The decoy will be anything but little :turd:

First time I heard of a diving encounter with a white shark on the north of Portugal...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom