How did I handle myself in this situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all

I'm new to diving, and taking my sixth dive tomorrow to finish my OW certificate. As I'm from Norway, where the water can be pretty cold all year 'round, I have been using a drysuit for all my dives, with a hood and three-fingered gloves.

There was a situation today, and I'm not sure my instructior realized in full just how panicked I was getting. I feel I did a few things right, and a few things wrong, and I'd love some comments on how I could have handled it differently, as it's been haunting me since it happened. I ask you to remember my very limited diving experience when commenting, but don't hold back on things I need to hear :)

Here's what happened:

We were doing a dive to about 12 metres, and descending by following a rope. It had taken me some time to get the emptying of the BCD just right for a controlled descent (I had a tendency to release the button to early, so that it never completely emptied), so I was going down a bit faster than I was used to. Since the beginning, I've had problems equalizing the pressure in my ears, which makes me descend slowly, going up half a meter now and then to properly equalize, but this time it was harder, and hurt like hell before I could get it right. No biggie yet, but it did make me very focused on getting it right, which made me kick around a bit to get up as my ears hurt. I signalled to my instructor that I was alright, but needed to go slow and sometimes up a bit. At the same time however, I was starting to get mask issues, because my drysuit hood was a little crooked put on, which made my mask leak more than usual. I reached the bottom, instructor in sight, and started to empty the mask as I'd learned (and never had any problems with), but experiencing that it did not help. Quite the opposite, it filled up even more. I tried again to get it out, and at this time I was also breathing heavily because of the kicking with the equalization issues, so even though I tried to control my breathing, it was way faster than I was comfortable with. It turns out my mask had moved a bit, so that my nostrils were not actually covered. As I couldn't empy my mask, my breathing was rapid and shallow, my ears hurt (although getting better), and I was getting water in my nostrils, I started to panic. For a few seconds, I breathed extremely heavy, and felt salt water in my mouth because in panic, my mouth was opening wider to consume more air. I've always seen myself as a rational being, and not easily panicked, and I forced myself to bite down on my regulator and not open my mouth as wide. I told myself "I DO NOT PANICK!" and "Relax, you may feel panicked, but you do have air, and as long as you can breathe, you're alright". Still, the feeling of not being able to relax my breathing because of panic was extremely uncomfortable, and I did "in flashes" fear for my life. I managed to get buoyancy and swam towards my instructor, while still breathing very heavily. I tried one more time to get the water out of my mask, and not being successful, and with the heavy breathing, I felt I was not getting enough air, and the panicky feeling of having to get to the surface really forced it's way in.

My instructor (who has been diving for 20 years and is very observant and cool) signalled to me to wait and calm. I signalled back to go up, and he showed me with his hands that my mask was crooked. Having thick gloves on, my confidence in my ability to correct my mask with my panicked breathing was low, and I signalled again to go up. We were one more diver with us for whom he was also responsible, so he signalled once again to hold. I shook my head and signalled up, and he signalled up back. At this point I do not know where my buddy diver was, but I'm guessing he got her attention and signalled the up for her as well. I kicked like hell, managing to not inflate my BCD until surfaced, and we talked things over at the surface. He did well in speaking trivially of other things, and not making a big deal of the incident, and did not end the dive (which I didn't feel the need to), and getting back in action I guess helped me cope better.

So here's what I'm trying to tell myself that I did right:

• I did manage to force my way out of a panic when my instructor was ten feet away
  • Throughout the whole ordeal, I did manage to signal my instructor
  • I did a controlled swim over to him, and remained relatively calm with my body
  • I tried several times to empty my mask without panicking
  • I did not make any clearly irrational choices, such as removing my regulator etc.
  • I "listened" to the instructors signals

And here are a few things I know I did wrong:
  • My equipment was not checked thoroughly enough
  • Although I managed to control my mind, and consciously tried to control my panicked breathing, I was not able to do that
  • My ascent was way to quick
  • I spent way too much energy kicking around when I was having trouble equalizing, which made my breathing heavy and added to the feeling of panic later on

A few things I maybe should have done, but did not know at the time:
  • I should have removed my mask and calmly put it on correctly, as we did in training (I tried to correct it without removing, and panicked when it didn't help after several tries. The feeling of water coming up to my eyes and filling my nostrils really ​made it feel like a surface drowning)
  • Feeling that the gloves made me lose control, I could have removed them

Now, it may not seem like a huge deal what happened here, but I can assure you, for a new diver it was a very frightening experience. It did, on the bright side, make me very aware of just how easily things can go wrong, and how your body reacts when it senses extreme danger.

As I said, I would love some comments on how I did here, and I also hope, if any new divers read this, it can be of some help to realize how the most trivial thing can be very dangerous when underwater.

Your story reminds me of choking on salt water when I was doing my second open water dive in my certification class. I was coughing and sputtering and felt like I couldn't breathe, and I wanted OUT. Like you, I signaled my instructor, and like yours, mine told me to stay put. The difference was that she cowed me enough to make me stay there . . . I honestly think that having such an experience at the beginning is a valuable thing. It teaches you that you CAN feel that way, and that you CAN inhibit the reflex reactions you get to those emotions.

About a year later, I had an experience like yours -- a mask that flooded and simply wouldn't clear. I was in midwater in the dark, disoriented and unsure of how deep the bottom under me was. The little voice that says OUT woke up again and began yammering . . . but I knew I could ignore it, because I had done it before.

You may not quite have conquered the voice, but you held it off for a while, and you'll spend a lot of time thinking about what happened at the end, I suspect. And my guess is that, the next time you face a situation that makes you think "OUT!", you'll do even better.

You did fine.

Stop, Think, Act! Three words but they can help. Maybe we should add breath as slow deep breaths will calm you. Your not going to die getting cold water in your face. If you mask is flooded so be it. Shut your eyes briefly if that calms you. Remember, it is just a leak and you can correct this.

Diving without a mask is not a problem. Maybe some practice will help. Mask drills are very important. Learn to deal calmly and decisively with a leaky mask. Practice mask removal in the cold environment you dive in. I also deal with drysuits and cold water. You are doing well as that takes practice and time underwater. Learn from the mistakes and life goes on. :wink:

I noticed that you said that you completely emptied your BCD (I assume that was as you were beginning your descent). Remember that you are weighted to be negatively buoyant at the beginning of the dive (in order to compensate for the gas in your cylinder). If you completely empty your BCD then you may start to descend too rapidly, and as your suit compresses you will pick up speed and it can get a little out of control. As a less experienced diver you haven't yet learned to multi-task and deal with multiple problems at one time - such as trying to slow your descent, equalize your ears, and deal with your mask leak all at once. No problem, though, as you dive more and more you will learn to take care of these issues without even thinking about them. I would suggest that as you begin your descent, you just let out enough gas from the BC to start descending, and as you pick up speed you think about adding gas a little bit at a time in order to keep the descent at a constant, slow rate. When you approach the bottom (if that is your destination), add enough as you reach it to make a "soft landing" (eventually your goal is to level off a bit above the bottom without touching it).

Good luck, and thanks for the story.

Hello all

, it can be of some help to realize how the most trivial thing can be very dangerous when underwater.

I'd say you learned the most important lesson about diving that you can learn! I sure wish all divers had that knowledge.

I am also with TSandM when she says that having a frightening experience can help you next time.

I have only done 32 dives so I am no expert but those are my thoughts.

- Bill

Thanks for the comments guys!

Did dive number five and six today, and finally a certified Open Water diver :) things went very well today, no problems equalizing, and I did a lot of mask excercises (removing and putting back on etc) to make sure that a mask situation doesn't catch me off guard again.

Still glad I had the experience from yesterday though, as I could see today already how helpful it was to thouroughly analyze the event and prepare for it. Looking forward to my next dive!

Congrats on your certification today!!
Assuming I'll see the two of you one the boat thursdays and sundays...
Saturdaydives are run from shore :)

You handled yourself very well IMO. You didn't panic, you maintained control of your self even though you felt like you were on the verge of panicking. But honestly that is just the way it feels. It's hard to explain unless you have experienced it first hand as you have now, but just because you have kept a level head and maintained control doesn't make the panic feelings go away (not right away anyway). Even though the problem continued to escalate you still did the right thing,as RonFrank pointed out "Stop, Think, Act!". Your heavy breathing probably had more to do with your over exertion during decent than with near panic. Your body needed the extra oxygen to cope with the over excretion. once again as RonFrank pointed out, take slow deep breaths, this will give your body the extra oxygen it needs and help to calm you down at the same time. The only question I have is why weren't you using the decent line to control your decent?

I had an incident right after I got my OW cert. My buddy and I were cruising along at about 40ft against a slight current. There were a few jelly fish around so we were wearing full body protection including a lycra hood. We would swim a little ways and then stop and grab hold of a rock and look around and check stuff out. And then... WHAM!!! I got hit by what felt like a massive electrical shock across my forehead. I jerked back and some how the quick release buckle on my weight belt released. I'm not sure how... I think I must have brushed against it with my hand or arm when I brought it up to my face in a defensive manor. But I had the presents of mind to grab hold of my weight belt before it slipped completely off allowing
me to rocket to the surface. Well needless to say this left me in one hell of a predicament. Hanging there upside down, my weight belt in one hand, my head in the other, in immense pain to the point of making me nauseous, scared, confused as to what the hell just happened, desperately trying in vain to vent my BCD not realizing that I couldn't because both dump valves were on the shoulders and not only that but it wouldn't have done any good anyways as I was wearing a 1/4 inch farmer john wet-suit. All I could think was "LET GO, LET GO, LET GO!!!" but luckily my training kicked in and I herd my instructors voice in my head "Stop, Think, Act!". He drilled that phrase into us at every opportunity during our OW class and thank god he did. And that is exactly what I did. Stop... think about it... letting go and shooting to the surface is not a good idea! Your ok, your reg is still in your mouth, you have plenty of air, and your stationary so just chill out and relax a minute. So I just chilled out for what seemed like an eternity and let the pain subside somewhat. Once I calmed down I realized I had gotten popped good by a jelly fish that raked across my fore head where my hood had pulled back from my mask. And once again my training kicked in and I realized I wasn't bad off at all and all I had to do was put my weight belt back on which I not only learned how to do in OW but also had to demonstrate multiple times to my instructor. So I did and except for still realling from the pain of getting stung I was back to square one. My buddy was in sight but apparently oblivious to what just happened. I caught up to him, gave him the surface sign, I explained what happened and we called the dive.

So you have learned two valuable lessons that will make you a much better diver in the future. 1...You can handle yourself and think your way out of a panic situation. And 2... as my indecent describes, a dive can unexpectedly go south at the drop of a hat at any moment, so practice your skills and stay sharp.

Congratulations on your certification, and I'm sure yesterday's experience will continue to prove valuable.

Holly,
Congrats on your shiny new cert card!

You will look back on your incident as one of the most important learning experiences of your early training, if you are anything like me. You did very, very well. And you will be a better diver for your experience and your analysis of it.

Good to see you already have experienced dive buddies, ready and waiting to get back in the water with you again.

Happy bubbles! Hope to read of some equally stunning, but completely wonderful, dive report from you soon...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom