How DIR are we, actually?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Diver0001's thread about fitness got this one started.

I have the right equipment. I maintain it meticulously. I practice my skills, work on my situational awareness and underwater communication. I try not to get sucked into the discussions of whether a swivel is DIR, but we all succumb to that kind of discussion from time to time.

But a team is no stronger than its weakest link, and I'm literally weak. I do okay underwater, but I often have problems getting out, particularly now that I'm diving doubles. I know I should hit the gym, but the discipline that got me the equipment set up properly and well maintained, and that gets me out to do skills dives and innumerable ascent drills, doesn't extend to making me exercise.

So I wonder how many of us are like me . . . Observant where it's easy for us, and lax where it's not. Are we all as fit as we should be? Can we all say we aren't the weak link in the team for some reason that we could fix if we wanted to?

TSandM:
..Can we all say we aren't the weak link in the team for some reason that we could fix if we wanted to?
some times I am the weakest link diving with stronger and FAR more experienced divers, at other times I am not the weakest link.... it varies. Yes we could all be in better shape, perform better, we all make mistakes, forget things, slip up every now and then.

Thats why there is a team to help, and as long as things are known (and/or discussed) openly, we all benefit.

Bottom line is: two (or whatever the number of the team is) went down, and two/the same number came up.

Great topic.
your asking people to be honest with them selves.
good luck with that.....

I find that most people tend to be fairly defensive in a post dive debriefing. It’s always difficult when blame is being assigned. But if our team mates don’t point out our weaknesses, how can we learn from them? The best part of team diving is knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your team.

I would like to believe that I’m diligent in my study and practice of DIR methodology. That being said it suprises me when a team mate points out a flaw or mistake. My first reaction may tend to be defensive. I trust my team, their comments shouldn’t solicit a defensive position. Their motives seek to strengthen the team.

I like to take full responsibility for my actions, past, present, and future. If i’m unaware it helps when they are brought to my attention. I find that going over a dive in my head can bring up things that may have been left out in the post dive debrief. That doesn't make them any less significant.

I believe that my practice has been diligent, there is always room for improvement. Lets face it, people would rather ignore their inadequacies then face them head on.

Well somebody has to be the weak link!

That said, at some level I would rather limit my diving than squeeze a buffer version of myself into a speedo. This is all about fun afterall, as long as you acknowledge where your weaknesses are and don't overextend the team (forcing other to overcompensate for you) I don't really see a problem.

On certain dives my weakest issue is plenty strong enough, on others it is not - so I avoid those dives.

I need to start going to the gym.
I was seriously planning on working out this summer and then I had my surgery (appendectomy) and the surgeon told me not to do anything for a month so that I wouldn't herniate myself. It's been so hard to motivate myself to work out since then. If you stop like I did, it's really hard to start back up. :(

rjack321:
That said, at some level I would rather limit my diving than squeeze a buffer version of myself into a speedo.

Yuck. I didn't want that mental image.:no

For the first time in 10 years I've crossed the 100 dives mark before the 100 surfing or snowboarding sessions mark. I've gained 7 lbs this year.

I think good debriefs are also hard.

In the wreck workshop I recently took, one of the topics addressed by the leader was how to do a good debrief. He was much more organized and disciplined about it than my partner and I have been.

It's hard to hear where you've fallen short, but for me, it's even harder to tell someone else where you think they have. But how do we improve if we don't give one another the feedback we need to know where the shortcomings are, or how we could do better? It CAN be done kindly, but it has to be done.

Richard, I like your concept of avoiding the dives where you're the weakest link. But what if the issue is fixable with a little work?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. According to George Irvine, there are only a handfull of divers who are actually DIR. There are GUE instructors who still smoke, a few who are at least 50 pounds overweight, and I won't even get into the teaching of Rec Triox and ratio deco, which is technically also not DIR. The only chance you have to be truly 100% DIR would be to join the WKPP and follow GI's orders to the letter. Until then, just do your best to be the best dive buddy you can be.

rjack321:
Well somebody has to be the weak link!

That said, at some level I would rather limit my diving than squeeze a buffer version of myself into a speedo. This is all about fun afterall, as long as you acknowledge where your weaknesses are and don't overextend the team (forcing other to overcompensate for you) I don't really see a problem.

On certain dives my weakest issue is plenty strong enough, on others it is not - so I avoid those dives.

I'd rather you do that too :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom