How do dive shops treat new or would-be divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've worked for 7 years in the bicycle industry, and now "work" for my LDS doing air fills fixing gear etc. while I get my DM status with them. I can say that for both of my experiences in both industries, the shop makes it whatever they like. My bike shop made a point of trying to get new people into cycling by donating two bikes for giveaway at a local fitness club. After seeing that, I am in talks between the club and my LDS about teaching some intros in the fitness club's new saltwater pool. I definetly feel it is entirely up to what the shop makes of it.

Jim

It may be the lack of competition in our small town setting, but my LDS seems to be more a proponent of the love of diving than a pusher of equipment sales. They're happy to give good honest advice and don't oversell a newbie or would-be diver.

It's the kind of atmosphere where fellow divers will hang out in the store, not to impress each other or the newbies, but just to enjoy hearing of recent dives or to hear of a newbie's excitement.

All of this creates a pretty inviting environment that helps would-be divers make a great decision: to become a diver! And customers keep coming back! :)

Dave C

Two years ago, I took my daughter, age 16, to buy some basic gear. I was new to the Orlando area and the shops did not know I was a diver. Just some guy and a kid. The BS was overwhelming.

One guy tried to sell us a used set of fins, said they were new, and anything else would give her leg cramps. Another guy insisted that the expensive Atomic regulator was the way to go, so she can "grow with diving". I was treated like I had short pants and a lollypop.

One exception. Kevin Gonzalez in Longwood helped us with a lightly-used BC that was a bargain. That BC is holding up real well.

Half out of frustration, I finished outfitting my diver-daughter with a Leisure Pro order. She got certified in time for a Christmas Eve dive with me at Alexander Springs.

Maybe if dive shops understood the model of how to keep a customer for life, rather than molest a new person once, fewer of us would feel like we just went car shopping.

Getting as much as you can from the new diver before they wise up seems to be the most common business model.

Wow, there are horror stories out there, but it is good to hear from the dive shops in this discussion that DO recognize the marketing principle that it takes I think 3 - 5 times the amount of money to get a new customer than to keep a current one happy.

I'm just wondering how many people get turned off from diving because of their experience with the first dive shop they go to.

Jimmer, I love your idea and how you are bringing that fresh approach to your dive shop. A little public relations goes a long way. Saltwater pool - lucky you!

I was in a shop with money burning my pocket in Talahasse. They had some kayak stuff I wanted and some other things, this was two summers ago. The kid there was such a north end of a south bound mule--- I walked out. The owner was there and I tried to carry on a polite conversation with him and this kid kept insulting me to the point I told him and the owner that somebody was just about to get a bloody nose. I left with my money (and no actuall donkey rears--- were harmed)--who needs the insults when you come in and ask a few questions about this item vs that one or where is a good nearby river for kayaking etc. I run into this elitism in Florida from one end to the other more than any place I have ever been. On the other hand--I went into the heart of the Borg, deep within the Hive, infiltrated I did and low and behold not only did they not insult me but they were friendly and helpful and no hard time at all. I immediantly moved the DIR crowd they support three notches up for their having actually been knowledgeable and helpful and polite. I therefore purchased a bunch of stuff from them I could have gotten cheaper on line but I liked them, I even bought a long hose (which--shhhh--I tossed in the bottom of the locker--lol) but they were so excited selling it to me I could not resist buying it--nearly assimilated I say. Being nice, smiling and listening to your customer is always a good policy.

N

.........long hose..... but they were so excited selling it to me..........

:lol:

we have a lds near me (i did my OW there actually) that i havent stepped foot in it for 10yrs and will not recommend them to anyone

ive even driven visiting US people past it and said "do not go in there" and only 2 days ago i got a pm about this shop and it seems they havent changed their sales mantra ini all this time, which is burn everyone quickly, take their money, push them thru all the courses and then dump them (fortunately i got smart after my OW). its been noticed many times that this shop turns over new instructors every 5 weeks, long enough to figure out the lds owner isnt gonig to pay them as promised also

After 20 years in a dive shop... you should treat your customers like they have the gold you need to stay open.

By the way some customers are #*^&$ Idiots, but it should never be discussed openly......

Customer service pretty much sucks nationwide weather you're buying lunch at McDonalds or having major surgery at a well known hospital.

People need re-training.

People in the service industry need to realize it's the people they SERVE who are signing their paychecks..... or not.....

Great comments guys. I agree that customer service does suck sometimes. I work customer service, and there are a lot of customers who are f'n idiots(most often, these are the people who think I'm the idiot. The customer isn't always right.) I treat all of my customers with respect(until they piss me off) To be quite honest though, I cannot say that all of my customers treat me with the same respect I give them. I wish everyone could have experience in customer service, it's not a cake walk like most people think. In a few years I'll be a nurse, and although I won't be in 'customer service' per se, but I will still treat my patients with the same respect.:D

sometimes I feel like entering the IRS building when I go to my LDS. the difference is that I am obligated to pay taxes by law, the PADI cert. does not obligate me to pay the LDS. most of us are recreational divers and a good experience is all that we are paying for. i think the LDS should have realized that and start that good experience from the beginning.

Every store, regardless of the industry, has a personality. Finding one that matches yours is the key. We have a very local shop that I tried and tried to feel good about. I finally gave up. Getting answers was like pulling teeth. It sucked the fun right out of the thought of becoming a diver. The other shop is 30 miles away. Took one phone call to suck us in. A visit later convinced us they were the shop for us.

Is one shop better than the other? For me it was obvious. For others who like to be treated like a leper, the other shop might be better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom