How do I BBQ shrimp.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I quick grill them in on a foil pan (so they don't fall through) or on skewers.

I marinade them in a mix of lemon juice, butter (or butter substitute) and some chilli-garlic paste (found in the Oriental section of most grocery stores).

I cook them both ways - shells on and off. On, definately leaves them more moist but then you have the fun/mess of deshelling to eat.

I always peel them first...I just hate playing with my food before I can eat it! Someone mentioned leaving the tails on...why? If you're gonna peel them, take it all off! :D

Beast built a grill out of stainless expanded metal so small stuff wouldn't fall through. Or we use skewers. All I do is baste them with a garlic butter sauce. If you want a BBQ flavor, you can dip them in any number of sauces available at the grocery store.

If skewering on wood skewers, soak them in water first, they won't burn. I like to skewer peeled x-large shrimp w/ a scallop threaded between the head & tail. Splash w/ a little soy sauce, sesame oil & sesame seeds, throw on a hot grill. Only takes a few minutes, prep time takes far longer. Serve over rice w/ a side of grilled veggies & salad & not much to clean up after.

Cooking in the shell gives more protection for the flesh and adds to the flavour. That's why chef's cook the shell for flavour in the sauce. It really depends on the size. In NZ we have some very large fresh water shrimps that are farmed here. They can be cut right down the middle and liberally coated with garlic butter and sea salt and bbqd flesh side down for no more than 1-2 minutes depending on your grill temp. It has to be real hot so the flesh doesn't stick. There's a real strong asian influence down our way with chilli's, oyster sauce, etc. I prefer garlic myself. But whatever it is, it can't overpower the fresh taste of the yummy crustacian. We also do the same with crayfish and it is brilliant with a lemony hollandaise sauce. You pull the cooked tail out and cut it across into little steaks and add the hollandaise with extra lemon juice and a bit of rind....Mmmmm, dinner at my place anyone?

Here's a quick tip to improve the taste and texture of shrimp. If you're cooking with dry heat, leaving the shell on helps protect it from getting overcooked. If you're cooking with moist heat, it's better to take the shells off.

Also, brining the shrimp bbefore cooking it makes an immense difference in texture and flavor.

Bachelor tip:

1 Clean and peel the shrimp.
2. put them on bamboo skewers (presoaked in water to avoid burning)
3. lightly spray the shrimp with butter flavored pam then a little lemon and cajun (or whatever) seasoning
4. lay the skewers on a sheet of aluminum foil on the grill lightly coated with more pam (to avoid sticking to the grill)
5.cook till they turn to that white done look that cooked shrimp gets.
6. eat em up
7. repeat as necessary

DivingGal:
I marinade them in a mix of lemon juice, butter (or butter substitute) and some chilli-garlic paste (found in the Oriental section of most grocery stores).

I'll second that... it's my favorite way to prepare them.

For some variation in the marinade/baste substitute worcestershire sauce for soy sauce, lime juice for lemon juice, etc., and maybe throw in a de-seeded and diced habanero along with the garlic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom