How do I control my bouyancy and trim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying once bubbled...

Weight Integrated (Zeagle Ranger).

Wearing 18 lbs in fresh water. A five and a four shot bag on each side (One thing I didn't think about... I've been wearing the fives further back in the little seperated Zeagle pocket bags, I guess I could try them in the front?) The trim pockets I used were the Zeagle ones designed to go on the lower tank straps.

The tendency to turtle is the reult of more weight behind you than in front. Shifting the fives forward (or swapping them with the 4s if they're in front) would make a least a one or two pound shift in weight more toward the front which, in turn, should allow you to add a tad of weight in the trim pockets without rolling. Give it a go... worst that can happen is that it not work.

Oh, and 7mm Hyperstretch boots. Do they get thicker? Does Timberland make dive boots?

LMAO -- no. I don't guess they do.

Edited for typo

If your feet sink, and you want to correct this to a perfect horizontal trim, here are a couple of things your can try.

1) Try wearing your B/C a little lower, by tightening your waist straps/cumberbun before you tighten your shoulder straps.

2) Try new fins that are not as negatively buoyant as your current fins are.

3) Try a steel backplate, and then removing a corresponding amount of weights from your belt or B/C pouches.

You said you already have your tank mounted as high as you can; good idea too. You do not want to bump your head, but the hight your tank is mounted, the easier it normally is for you to reach back over your head and have access to your hoses and tank valve.

Here's another thought...

Swap the position of the fives and the fours and replace the fours with threes. Then add your two trim pockets with one pound each. This would allow you to shift weight forward and upward toward the head (to offset the feet sinking) without adding more net weight.

I wasn't over weighted (4 lbs on my belt w/ AL 80 and no exposure suit). Tried raising the tank up on the BC. That helps, but my feet still tended to sink a bit.

A 1 lb ankle weight around the tank valve solved it.

Would LOVE to try a backplate and wings though.....

Mike, from the videos you mentioned... those guys aren't just using their bc's to ascend. They are obviously using their fins a great deal to keep thier horizontal position which I believe proves Pete's point more than yours. They are directing thrust downward to help lift their legs to maintain a horizontal attitude.

Back
Top Bottom