How do I improve my air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I decreased my air consumption by practicing on the surface inhaling for 5 seconds and exhaling for about 10 seconds. I now find myself doing it when I'm just sitting around my house or at work. It's helped so much with my air consumption underwater. It's also helped with my air consumption when taking our air packs into a fire...I can outlast any other firefighter so I end up at the front of the hose :D

PaulB once bubbled...
<snip> I can outlast any other firefighter so I end up at the front of the hose :D

You realise, of course, that the heavy-breathers are back at the truck drinking a coke and making jokes about you because of this, right? :)

R..

You realise, of course, that the heavy-breathers are back at the truck drinking a coke and making jokes about you because of this, right?

Yeah I know lol.....I'm still the "rookie" since I've only been working there for 4 years (one more and I'll be out of my journeymens!!" so that plays a major role in it....also my MOM works for the same dept as me...you can imagine what I get for that. I really don't mind though...I love it every day that I go into work. :D I kinda like being the hero.

I'm 6'4" and weigh about 255 lbs, I use less air than most of the smaller and fitter people I dive with (not my wife). This was not always the case its simply because I dive a lot and my air consumption has dropped as my diving increases. I've seen people try to reduce their air consumption by altering there breathing and I'm not sure, but I think it may have the reverse effect. I believe the more you dive the better your air consumption will be.

PaulB once bubbled...
I decreased my air consumption by practicing on the surface inhaling for 5 seconds and exhaling for about 10 seconds. I now find myself doing it when I'm just sitting around my house or at work. It's helped so much with my air consumption underwater. It's also helped with my air consumption when taking our air packs into a fire...I can outlast any other firefighter so I end up at the front of the hose :D

Hi Paul!
I found that I started to do the same thing when I would go out running. It really helped!
It's interesting that you talk about the relation to firefighting. I'll bet the breathing pattern helps you keep a steady mindset as well. I'm just starting to apply to a few departments around here so I'll have to get some tips from you! :)

Today, I did two boat dives, one deeper - max 70 feet (according to the divemaster - and that's what I used for my profile, but I don't remember seeing anything below 60 on my gauge - my buddy said the same thing). All was well, but I got only about 32 minutes out of my tank before I was down to 700 PSI and had to go up to do the safety stop. I was the first of the group to come up.

The second dive was shallow - like about 30 feet - again, I only got about 32 minutes of air before safety stop. I was the only one who came up that quick and I was able to get another tank and get some more bottom time in for another 15-20 minutes or so. (Boy, did that confuse the divemaster when she saw me come back down.......)

Everyone else in the group was able to stay down for the entire time of nearly an hour.

I tried to consciously monitor my breathing and did not appear to be breathing fast and other than trying to move quickly a couple times to get some ideal photos, didn't really exert myself...

Granted, I'm not in the best shape athletically, I'm 5'4" and 170 pounds, but geesh, I'd sure like to get a little more time out of a tank.

Any suggestions as to how to improve my air consumption?

Thanks in advance.

Any suggestion

I used to be a heavy breather and in a way still am...

I did have trouble at first keeping up with my friends until I was introduced to a special someone.... my 16L tank!!!

WOW>...

What size tank were you using... this definately makes a difference... you have different sizes to pick from 8, 10, 12 (all Litres)...

try the 16... you will outbreathe all you buddies!

P.S. the more you dive the more you learn how to better control your breathing....

A lot depends on how comfortable you are in the water. How many dives have you logged? The more you dive the more comfortable you will become, the more comfortable you are the better your breathing will be. Was there a current that day that you were fighting against? Currents can play a major roll in air consumption if you're trying to swim against them at the begining part of the dive. I've also seen many people that think they have to swim with their hands as well as thier fins, this is extra movement and will also consume more air.

Try and relax, don't rush, if you use your hands to swim during the dive, stop, learn to use only your fins to move your body around and lastly, dive, dive, dive. The more you do the better you will become.

Scott

Are you doing cold water dives? Wearing a thick wetsuit? The cold water generally requires more air...got to keep warm some how besides warming the inside of the wetsuit:D Thick wetsuit? requires more weights. The more dives you do, the more comfortable you become in the water and thus, the more you can trim your wts.

Also....remember that your BC inflator does not have the name "OTIS" stamped on it. In otherwords, its not an elevator. dont use it to go up and down quickly. Rather.,,,use your lung capacity, boyancy and think ahead of where you want to go.

Finally, try not to use ur hands. Put them by ur side...if properly wt'ed and BC is proper....u can skull along wiht minimum use of your fins.

Good luck, and keep practicing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom