How do I overcome seasickness on boat dives without medication?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone is different. For me does not matter what I have had to eat or drink. Stay centre of mass of the boat, standing up eyes focused outside of the boat on the horizon if at all possible. If I am driving the boat I almost never get seasick! You want to keep what your eyes see and what your middle ear is telling you to be the same thing. The very worst thing I can do is to focus inside the boat on some task that involves engine exhaust or gasoline fumes.

Scopolamine patch was a complete game-changer for me. Otherwise Dramamine or ginger-based everything (I like the ginger candies from Trader Joe’s). I’ve also found that a GOOD night of sleep before a dive and being extremely well hydrated also helps. And if you have to set up/change your gear, try to do so when the boat is on the move, not bobbing up and down stationary.

Moving away from exhaust fumes [especially diesel], pressure-point wrist bands and avoiding eating greasy food.

I've tried it all: getting plenty of sleep & water, ginger candy, bonine, dramamine (drowsy & non), not eating, eating, staring at horizon, staying busy, avoided exhaust fumes, stayed in center of boat,, nothing worked except scopolamine. the patch made my vision kind of blurry at the end of the 2nd / 3rd day. plus it had to be prescribed which was a hassle and expensive

Then I learned about KWELLS! easy and cheap to obtain from eBay, zero side effects (maybe slight dry mouth during dive, but probably caused more by the tank air) take one at breakfast / 30 mins before dive and good to go. I've been in pretty rough water and not gotten sick. same ingredient as the patch (scopolamine aka hyoscine).

I'm really not interested in suffering for a week in hopes that I adapt, I'd rather enjoy my vacation. I too would rather not take anything (I don't smoke or drink or even like taking advil or asprin) but kwells have been awesome

I’ve done my open water and recently my advanced. Scuba changed my life and it is clear as day this is something I’ll do forever consistently. The issue is my love for scuba is being diluted with nausea during boat rides. Particularly on small boats with rough currents but I notice I am always the one throwing up on a rough ride or rocky day. I’m aware I’m more prone to seasickness at this point and with heavy andro medicine I still get nauseous but won’t throw up.

Are there any tricks or tips to overcome this naturally? Do I just keep getting on boats to wipe this out?
Focus on the horizon or a fixed point, don't lean forward or put your head down that will set it off for sure

During our whale shark tours it is common seeing people get seasick. Some things we do to help minimize this

Dont eat big meals before going on boat. Eat pastrie , fruit.
Sit at the back of the boat.
If you do start to feel sick , put some ice at the back of your neck or dump ice cold water on your head.
Take dramamnine 1/2 hr before boarding boat.
Eat ginger as alternative. they do make ginger dramamine.
Look at the horizon
Try to keep yourself busy on the boat, talk to others etc.... The more you think about feeling sick the worse it is for you.

My god; just get the Scopolamine patch and be done with it instead of all these home remedies.

My god; just get the Scopolamine patch and be done with it instead of all these home remedies.
Did you miss the OP's question??? "Are there any tricks or tips to overcome this naturally?" I think he was asking for "all these home remedies".

Some people do not do drugs well. I personally hate what most of the seasickness drugs do to me so I avoid them if at all possible and have been pretty successful doing that over the years. Not possible for everyone, but the home remedies are worth trying if you react badly to the drugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom