How do I overcome seasickness on boat dives without medication?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then I realized two things: eating and having something to do. Those who didn't eat nor had some tasks to tend to (sails, tiller, sliding centerboard and so on) were the miserable ones with sea sickness.

I started to eat regularly, and volunteer to either main sail, tiller or the most fun- trapeze. Thus, having something to do which also forces you to watch the horizon which is the most important thing to avoid motion sickness. Never again did I vomit on a boat, so even when I am not crew I do not dwell in the room: go out, eat normally, move around, watch outside at horizon, waves etc.
This.

And standing up helps your feet stabilize to the waves in the same style as surfing (a communal surfboard). Hold onto the rails and tie yourself to the ocean (not the boat). Everyone gets some level of queasiness indoors. We are not meant to live on water. Outdoor decks during rough night crossings are popular if you go beyond day diving. If it gets too rough, my body wakes me up and I feel clammy palms...time to head outside with a snack. I prefer heavier stomach and no fizzy drinks -I never get queasy outside. A fizzy drink will ruin my dive and affect my buoyancy and the poor chap behind me.

As Johndiver999 said, sea sickness generally is a result of a discrepancy between what your inner ears are telling you is going on and what your eyes are seeing.

Anytime I get a subconscious inkling of sea sickness, I reflexively get up and move around, I like to hang onto to something over head "like a subway strap hanger", and let my head bounce around with the boat. I probably look a little "challenged" but I don't get sea sick.

Ginger-based foods are highly effective, in my experience. You can buy anti-nausea pills based on ginger, and you can also drink ginger beer. (In case you're unfamiliar with this product, it's nonalcoholic soda pop loaded with ginger. It's much stronger-flavored than ginger ale, which may or may not even contain ginger.)

I’ve done my open water and recently my advanced. Scuba changed my life and it is clear as day this is something I’ll do forever consistently. The issue is my love for scuba is being diluted with nausea during boat rides. Particularly on small boats with rough currents but I notice I am always the one throwing up on a rough ride or rocky day. I’m aware I’m more prone to seasickness at this point and with heavy andro medicine I still get nauseous but won’t throw up.

Are there any tricks or tips to overcome this naturally? Do I just keep getting on boats to wipe this out?
For years, I used to be the designated chummer. I kept fishing and diving, but then one day, it just stopped. I don't know or much care why. I hope the same goes for you.

Probably genetic factors, but most can adapt through repeated experiences. Probably some crossover resistance also from cars, carnival rides, swings, substance abuse, etc, but no guarantees.

You can get used to one kind of motion, say a specific boat or boat type, but then a new one can get you anyway.

Have puked on occasion, have also watched others go through it with no such trouble of my own.

I'm guessing there is some actual cellular/biochemical neurological adaptation involved, which takes time, and is also reversible.

There were military exercises for pilots, walking back and forth while swing your head around in various orientations.

I have to avoid scrambled eggs.
Mid-ships, watching the horizon is best.
Sitting is good, lying down is better.
On the oceanographic research ships we used to leave the dock in the evening so everybody could lie in their bunks overnight and let their bodies get used to the movement.

Watching the horizon is important, as many have said. Avoid oily foods the night before and for breakfast, too.

Plenty of other good advice which I agree with, but I'll add that I've found that some of it is in my head. If I approach the ride expecting to get sick and worried about it, then it's likely I will. If I approach the ride as a fun part of the experience (like a rollercoaster even), then it often becomes just that.

Why are you insisting on not using medication? There are many different types and I had to go through a few to find something that worked for me. Now I take it every morning when I'm on a dive trip and have had no issues. I couldn't do Dramamine or Scopolamine but Meclizine (the active ingredient in Bonine worked for me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom