How do I see the SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tel-scuba

Registered
Reaction score
The SPG comes off the left post and is clipped to the hip D-ring. The stage tank is also clipped off to the same ring. How in the world do I see the SPG quickly? I can certainly slide my hand down the SPG hose, find the clip, unclip and read it, then reclip the SPG, but this takes time.

How do most people get at this device?

You don't need to see it quickly.

You unclip it, look at it, and clip it right back. The more you do this, the quicker it will be. I only have around 20 or 25 dives with a short SPG hose clipped off to the side, but I don't need to slide my hand around anywhere. Muscle memory is the key.

Ishie: this is the DIR forum, and retractors are not DIR.

The same way you'd look at it normally: unclip, look, reclip. I don't know of anyone who is able to see the SPG well when it's clipped off at the hip, and although I know a few divers who clip it off to a shoulder D ring that's not very DIR and I'd like to see them try that with a stage.

The difference is that you should know beforehand whether the SPG is clipped on the inside or outside of the stage - especially if you're wearing drygloves or thick wetgloves with their reduced dexterity.

When you unclip it, you may have to emphasize the arm swing just a little so the hose clears the end of the stage, depending of course on your physical size, size of the stage, and how you have it mounted.

Hope that helps.......

FreeFloat:
The same way you'd look at it normally: unclip, look, reclip. I don't know of anyone who is able to see the SPG well when it's clipped off at the hip

I can see my left hip D-ring just by looking down with my Big Eyes mask. In fact, I can usually see my dump valve if I look down far enough.

jonnythan:
In fact, I can usually see my dump valve if I look down far enough.

Damn, you must be double-jointed or something. Even if I could turn my head that far around and arched my back it'd still be hidden between my a--

Oh, wait. You didn't mean that dump valve, did you?

Nevermind...

jonnythan:
I can see my left hip D-ring just by looking down with my Big Eyes mask. In fact, I can usually see my dump valve if I look down far enough.

Amazing field of view with that mask, love it.........I'd get annoyed if I had to clip/unclip my SPG all the time........

ShakaZulu:
Amazing field of view with that mask, love it.........I'd get annoyed if I had to clip/unclip my SPG all the time........

Ditto on Big Eyes...

Perhaps a retractor would help. Although I normally use my wristmount computer for depth readings I do have a backup on my console along with an SPG and a compass. When the console is clipped at the left hip D-RING, the compass normally shows when I look down. However, the retractor is handing as I can easily rotate the console towards my body to check the SPG on the other side(without unclipping). To navigate with the compass while finning however, I tend to unclip the console so that I can bring the compass out in front of my face...works quite well...

humanFish:
Perhaps a retractor would help. Although I normally use my wristmount computer for depth readings I do have a backup on my console along with an SPG and a compass. When the console is clipped at the left hip D-RING, the compass normally shows when I look down. However, the retractor is handing as I can easily rotate the console towards my body to check the SPG on the other side(without unclipping). To navigate with the compass while finning however, I tend to unclip the console so that I can bring the compass out in front of my face...works quite well...

Your answers don't really fit in the DIR forum that the question was posted in. Retractors and consoles are not DIR.

humanFish:
Ditto on Big Eyes...

bool isDIR ( int item )
{
switch ( item )
case RETRACTOR:
return false;
case CONSOLE:
return false;
case COMPASSONWRIST:
return true;
}

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm