How do I use a Nikonos 80mm macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
So please help me gods of Nikonos photography.

How, in all that is holy, do I use the Nikonos 80mm lens underwater? I am particularly interested in using it in a macro configuration with an extension tube and framer.

But being somewhat christmassy, ebay has been quiet on Nikonos stuff and I have no idea where to get any accessories for this until summer time when prices start to thaw out!

Obviously it is challengin to use as a normal big fish lens... and visibility poses its own problems, I'm just looking for some insight into using it close up.

I have had some great success out the water, where it makes a respectable portrait lens, with lots of guess work, but flash so helpful here.

Cheers G

I don't think they made extension tubes for the 80mm. At least I've never seen one. Of course you could use ones intended for the 35mm, but the framer would be way off. I don't think the 80mm was intended for underwater use. I think it was more popular with photo journalists in wet environments (eg: America's Vietnam war).

Had a really quick look at your website, brought back some memories.

On my travels in Vancouver I dived at a shore entry (called "the Wall") it was snowing when we went in on a night dive and was warmer in than out.

For a chap from Kenya that was in itself pretty darn exciting. However we descended to about 34 meters we saw some Ling cod and pacific fur seals which was pleasant. Ascending to around 24 meters, came across a grave stone to some chaps who decided to stick around...
Great dive, wifey and I poodled around in the shallows for a further 20 minutes to use up some air and played with what looked like gunards, dont quite recal exactly though.

On the exit it was unique to have snow on our drysuits, or at least it was for us.

Thanks for the memories, a great change from African diving.

Oh and on the Nikonos front there is a framer but god knows where to get it.

G

Oh and on the Nikonos front there is a framer but god knows where to get it.

G

The Nikonos close-up kit has a frame for the 80 mm: it's about 7 or 8 cm wide, and has a tiny depth of field. For really macro stuff, Nikon and Helix Camera also make extension tubes for the 28 and 35 mm that have better depth of field, even at 1:2.75, than you'd get with the 80 mm.

Back
Top Bottom