How do you carry on your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With everything you take with you how does everyone carry on their camera gear on a plane? Right now I have a Canon T2i with Sea & Sea Housing multiple lenses and strobes. I also have a gopro, filters, tray lights and chargers. Dont forget your air supply and laptop because who leaves that at home?

I dont have a large camera, but there are now 5 us in the family that dive. We just got back from Hawaii, and for the first time, I decided not to carry on the regs. I have a nice new hard shell bag I bought for just this purpose. As the only male in our group, of me my wife and daughters, I typically get stuck carrying all the regs. So this time I checked the all the bags instead of carrying them on. Kablam, Guess what, westjet lost two of our bags :( I did get them back, but not without dealing with some of the rudest people I have dealt with. They ticked me off so bad I started a BB LostLuggageLimbo to make sure everyone knows. (its more about the rudeness of he people, that the delay in getting my bags back)

Anyhow, for our next trip to the domican we are back to maximizing carryon.

I manage to fit all my UW Photo gear in a LOWEPRO 300AW Back Pack. Everything except the dome port.

Nauticam 7D Housing
Flat Ports and Extensions
ULCS Arms, float arms and Clamps, Stix Floats
FIX 1000LED Focus Light
2 Sea n Sea D1 Strobes
Canon 7D Body
100mm Macro
60mm Macro
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye
Batteries, Chargers
Laptop

All weighs in at 32 pounds. So far, I keep it on my back and people just assume it isn't that heavy. Have never been asked to place it on a scale.

Dome port goes in a small shopping bag and is my personal item.

Clothes and dive gear are checked in.

fDePF-30K6yyITQyj_fs0MBihnJHO3zrxWPEBVBRkXs=w249-h187-p-no.jpg

I manage to fit all my UW Photo gear in a LOWEPRO 300AW Back Pack. Everything except the dome port.

Nauticam 7D Housing
Flat Ports and Extensions
ULCS Arms, float arms and Clamps, Stix Floats
FIX 1000LED Focus Light
2 Sea n Sea D1 Strobes
Canon 7D Body
100mm Macro
60mm Macro
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye
Batteries, Chargers
Laptop

I have pretty much the same rig, except I have Inon Z240 strobes and dual Sola 1200 lights. I get it all, plus the dome port and the macro flat port into this.

Of course, I "cheat" by using a Zen 100 mm dome instead of my old 6 inch dome.

I'm researching the same issue. What I'm considering is buying the padded divider set made by Pelican for their carry-on (you can buy this on Amazon, Amazon.com: Pelican 1515 Padded Divider Set for 1510 Case (Black): Camera & Photo ), and fit it into a regular carry on. This should be easier that the Lowepro backpack, which I also have but find rather less convenient than a wheeled carryon.

I just bought a Canon 200EG back pack. It will hold a small Ikelite housing, dual strobes and arms, tray, charger for strobes and camera, camera and cards in a small hard case, filter. There is actually room to spare. If I wanted to throw in a small tablet I could easily do that.

My problem is I have too much gear. I travel with this in a roll on carry on. I put the camera and lenses in a backpack but would like to put everything in the rolling case.

Sea & sea Housing with tray
2 Strobes
Tokina lens and port
8 inch Fish eye dome
tray arms
sola 1200
GoPro and Srp tray
2 sets of Atomic regs
batteries and chargers for everything.

What takes up the magority of the case is the dome and the housing. I might try to put it all in the rolling case and take the dome out.

My Sony CX550V goes inside my L&M Stingray G2 housing and it goes into my carry on along with my Sola 1200 video lights all cushioned in the few articles of clothing I bother to take with me when I travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom