How do you communicate pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For anything over 70 bar, I just signal okay. Between 50 and 70, I point to the gauge and signal okay. At 50, it's low on air and time to surface. If someone needs to know the actual number, I just show the gauge.

I have to concur with Doubler on this one. Simply showing your buddy you SPG is the simplest and least confusing way to communicate pressure. The more complicated you make signals the more confusing they get!

See you on the bottom!

... across your reg. Anything below a 1000 psi is simply indicated by one finger per psi.
900 is alot of fingers :wink:

Of course! I meant 1 finger per 100 psi.

BTW, How many actually start showing their remaining pressure when it’s above 2000? Barring a leak or brand new diver, I never even bother to show my air until it gets below half pressure.

I agree with the others that say, the way you display your air pressure must be decided on and agreed to before the dive begins. None of them are that hard to understand.

This weekend someone in the quarry did a hand signal that involved a number of vertical digits followed by a number of horizontal digits.

Air Force pilots use something like that for fuel remaining, vertical fingers are 1-5 and if they are horizontal the digits are 6-10. The only real issue I can see with that and diving is orientation may not always be as clear as in a plane, nice system though.

In my OW class we either did it 2 handed or flashed 5 then the another set of numbers for over 5.

Air Force pilots use something like that for fuel remaining, vertical fingers are 1-5 and if they are horizontal the digits are 6-10.

That's how we do it.

Unfortunatley, I can't claim it's because we're Air Force pilots, or anything cool like that, it's just seemed a simple, one-handed way to do it.

Whatever floats your boat.

That's how we do it.

Unfortunatley, I can't claim it's because we're Air Force pilots, or anything cool like that, it's just seemed a simple, one-handed way to do it.

Whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, all I meant is that I know of at least one organization that does it as a standard. Seems like a simple method.

I dive with an air integrated computer and on my last trip I had a buddy with the same computer so just used the buddy check function which was handy

Using one hand we use a finger per 100 PSI and flash as many times as needed.

1000 would be 2 flashes of 5 fingers

1200 would be 2 flashes of 5 fingers followed by 2 fingers.

Many will post with a plethora of other schemes bordering on Chisenbop. What I like about the system we use is that anyone can pick it up in a pre-dive briefing

These all work best when you echo it back to you buddy and he gives you the OK sign that you got it right.

Pete
This is the method that (most) all the instructors at our LDS teach our students. The only variation is that some of us teach that you should always use only one hand, so your other hand is free to hold a light shining on that hand on night dives. Some of us (me) teach that you can use either one hand or two depending on what you think is appropriate (or if your buddy can't count more than 5 fingers at a time. :D)

In my personal diving, if I flash my pressure at my buddy the correct response is for my buddy to flash his/her pressure back at me, and vise/versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom