How do you know when you have enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem stems from lack of experience, leading to a lack of ability to effectively self-appraise skills relatively. This could equally be described as over/under-confidence created through ignorance.

This is a common situation for novice divers. Under-confidence, relating to actual skill, is tolerated, because it typically leads to conservative diving practices and increased safety. In contrast, most experienced divers tend to be honest and forthright towards over-confident divers, as this can lead to that diver putting themselves at risk by exceeding their limitations.

Recreational diving is prone to create over-confidence. It is a remarkably safe activity in nature and leads to divers failing to gain awareness of their capability to deal with problems that can arise. A diver can do something dangerous many times and get away with it. Hence, they think that is safe...or within their capabilities. It isn't. It is only because nothing went wrong that they percieve safety and/or capability .... not because of their actual ability to deal with issues or their skill capacity.

That all changes when you enter the realms of technical diving.

All of the technical agencies place a minimum dive and training requirement on their technical courses. That represents the bare minimum. If someone cannot understand the correlation between hours spent underwater...and the experience that provides, then they are beyond logical debate.

That said, it must be remembered that a minimum dive requirement is just a benchmark. Simply because you have achieved that initial benchmark, does not mean that you are ready. Hence why the tech agencies always recommend that the instructor concerned conducts an assessment of the student before initiating the training.

The best way for anyone to understand their likely capacity for training at a higher level is to get an honest appraisal from somebody who is already at that level. That could be either an experienced tech diving mentor, or instructor. It is vital to be receptive to that appraisal. Whether that appraisal in in-water, sat at a table, or over the internet (based on dive count), it is valid. The suggestions given will carry the weight of experience held by the mentor..and will be based upon reality.

Should a diver be unwilling to accept those recommendations, then they are forced to rely upon their own self-appraisal - which is likely to be flawed, due to lack of knowedge (of their skills iand/or the requrements needed at a higher level). Ego can have have a major impact on the accuracy of this self-appraisal also.

Whilst it could only ever be a very inaccurate method of self-appraisal (lacking clarity on the requirements of higher training), the diver could evaluate their own capacity through the attempt of the skills taught at that level. This is obviously dangerous, because if they fall short, then they won't be supervised by anyone who can help them....

Items to 'attempt' could be:

1. Deployment of DSMB,.... whilst maintaining +/- 50cm hover. Blow the hover is a fail..... whilst conducting an ascent at the appropriate rate. Variance from the ascent rate is a fail. Try in blindfolded. Try it with a simulated freeflow. Try conducting shut-down drills in the middle of DSMB deployment...whilst maintaining either/both hover or ascent rate.

2. Maintaining dive awareness by loggin depth and air levels at 2 min intervals throughout the dive (failing to log these exactly could be considered a 'fail').
3. Conduct an ascent and pre-determined stops without a mask. Failure to adhere to the set ascent speed and missing a stop (for correct ime and correct depth) is a fail.
4. Maintain a hover +/- 50cm for 15 minutes, whilst simulataneously carrying out a variety of drills as taught on the OW course (i.e. mask remove and replace, air-sharing, cramp removal, LPI disconnect and reconnect etc etc etc)
5. Conduct dives where you precisely follow your pre-dive plan.... Plan your dives with absolute high detail and see if you are capable of following them. Plan to include ascent rates, stops, descent, multi-leveling etc. Any delays in leaving depth are a failure. And variance in ascent rate is failure. Losing control of bouyancy +/1 50cm is failure...etc etc No excuses for delays. Navigation has to be perfect. Depth control has to be perfect. Self-discipline has to be perfect. See if peer pressure from other divers can sway you from your pre-determined goals.

6. Practise gas changes. Use air in all tanks, but practice swapping between sources according to a simulated schedule. Get it wrong once (breath from the wrong tank at the wrong time) is a failure. Do it enough time so that you get complacent with it. Complacency is what causes errors with this. Do it enough, so it gets easy...and see if you ever make a mistake. Do it whilst ascending. Whilst timing stops. Whilst dealing with mask floods or reg failures. See if the distractions cause errors.
Just remember that a failure in one of these, on a deco dive, could mean life in a wheelchair, or worse.
a final few....

7. Empty your bank account. Take money out and just burn it. Tell your partner that you can no longer afford to eat in nice restaurants. See how you feel when a $100 bill flares into ashes in your hand. If it hurts.... you aren't ready for tech.
8. Ask every diver you know to criticise you. Welcome them to tear apart every aspect of your skill...every procedure you attempt... every second of every dive. Invite them to riddicule your gear. Trash talk your decision making process. Encourage them to tell you what your limitations are. If you get close-minded, or your ego leads you into confrontation or outrage.... then you fail.

Doing something successfully once is not an indication that you could do it successfully every time. That is a miss-appreciation that many divers gain from recreational diving courses (i.e. the PADI definition of 'mastery'). This is one of the big mindset adaptations that you need to understand before attempting to transition into technical diving.

Those should realistically take at least 35-50 + dives to become fluid, instinctive and natural. Quite probably longer for some. Rarely shorter for anyone.
Why do so many tech divers and tech instructors automaticallyjudge someone unready if they have sub-100 dives? Because they know that a recreationally trained diver cannot possibly have the experience required to have absorbed everything necessary for tech training.

Add to that the 'intangible' aspects.... such as a diver's comfort zone, reaction to pressure, ability to deal with stress, problem solving ability and capacity for multi-tasking. These aspects form a critical part of technical diving. A diver can only learn to understand their capacity through increasing experience underwater. More dives = more experience = more problems encountered = better self appraisal of capacity = more knowledge = better problem solving = increased comfort zone = less stress = more deserved confidence etc etc etc
It's impossible to anticipate your reaction to stress. Ego skews your self-awareness of your limitations. A good mentor or instructor in tech diving will make your capacity in these 'intangibles' obvious to you. I've never met anyone who didn't find their first introduction to tech diving to be a humbling experience. Just don't be in a rush to spend $$$'s on training until you have some form of realistic (not ego driven) self-appreciation of your suitability for it.

Last edited:
There will allways be a division between classes vs experiance vs mentor, begging the question "when am I ready".

I feel the best aproach is to do all the above, but that is just me.

The logic trap in rec diving is the warm fuzzy feeling people give each other on cattle dives where incidents are explained away. I call it the coomm bye yaaa syndrome. Everyone in the group is at the same level in their diving , patting each other on the back, sitting around eating samores and telling each other how great they are. You need to allways strive to dive with and around people who are above your current level of experiance. They will tell you when you are ready or not. I participate in this model frequently by being the one told you suck, and returning the favor to others when I am the one above more skilled then them.
Eric

Stemming from a very heated argument regarding Trimix education, I am curious: when do you know when you are ready to move on to the next level of training?

To me there are only really three criteria:

1) do you HONESTLY think you're ready?
2) do people already doing whatever it is HONESTLY think you're ready?
3) do you have a NEED for the specialty in question.

On #1 there are many people who think they're ready for anything but hopefully they get filtered out early and don't become techincal divers at all! The ones who DO become technical divers should have the personality for it (you all know what I mean) Both under water... but also, and more importantly, the self knowledge/insight

On #2 I firmly believe that at some point the community should regulate entry. In other words, I find it normal that a technical instructor extends "invitations" to people instead of people just signing up for courses. I know that doesn't fit in everyone's business model, but frankly, we're not talking about a walk in the park here and not everyone who wants to get into it can really fathom the risks. As an aside to this, we apply this already to our DM candidates. About 90% of the DM's we train are divers who have been identified by instructors as "having the right stuff" and are "invited" to take the training. I don't see any reason, no... I see *every* reason to do this with technical training too!

On #3, the case is simple. Taking a course is step one but if you can't (or don't) get the experience applying what you have learned then the risks to the diver grow in time. The simple fact is, if you're not planning on applying what you learn and you're just card collecting then the answer should be "no". The risk of pos-training incidents is just too great.

R..

#2 is great, but those days are long gone. Lets use Everest as an example. If you have the cash someone will take you up there to die or make it, no gaurantee either way. Diving is the same way now, cash is king regardless of skill level. All we can do is insulate ourselves from unsafe divers and continue on.
Eric

#2 is great, but those days are long gone.

They're not.... but there is a distinction to be made.

- people who are serious about it
- people who collect experiences and want someone to help them

I know there is money to be made by catering to the underwater-tourists (at all levels) but there *are* people out there who are serious, focused and committed.

Look, as a recreational scuba instructor I'll dive with (and teach) anyone who wants to give it a go...

As a technical diver, the number of people I'll submerge with is reduced from many hundreds (the ones I've taught) to about 4

As a tecnical instructor (which I am not) I would expect from that 4, that 1 or 2 of those are people you would invite.

As an aside to this, at the shop where I work most of the instructors have one form or another of technical training. Our bo-bo (CD) is an instructor and active technical diver from multiple agencies.

You'd never know it if you walked in the front door... we're all "diving is fun" etc. but there are very few who even get on the radar let alone take the path. My regular dive-buddy is one... he has about 1000 dives, he's got the whole package... the skills, the personality (in spades), the motivation, even most of the gear.... but despite the few (few?) deco dives a year I make with him while we "practice" ascents and the fact that he has more deco dives under his belt than many so-called "technical" divers do and multiple invitations (and kicks in the ass from me) he still hasn't taken the step.... why? Time and money. He knows that #3 involves a commitment and he's not ready to make it (yet).

mmmmmm where was I going with this story....

oh yeah.... to refute the idea that the days of serious divers recruiting serious divers is gone. In my little world it's not. I'm sure that some people sell out but I seriously don't think that's the norm....

R..

Stemming from a very heated argument regarding Trimix education, I am curious: when do you know when you are ready to move on to the next level of training?

I dont think dive numbers correlate particularly well with the necessary experience for determining when a diver is ready; just because a diver has enough dives certainly doesn't mean they are ready for a class, nor does not having a minimum mean they aren't. BUT, how did you all, the more advanced and experienced divers decide when you were really ready to move up?

A prominent mod has suggested numerous times that becoming bored should at least be the minimum motivation for looking towards more certs, but certainly that doesn't necessarily mean you are ready. You dont know what you dont know, and that certainly holds true for everyone in diving, but how do you know when to step it up?

Not looking to be argumentative, just curious what different divers have used as their benchmark.

You mean like when your instructor tells you to take advanced nitrox & decompression procedures, triox, cavern and intro to cave so you can go diving with him because you are a good buddy who can be relied upon in a crisis and because you possess the maturity to make the right decisions for your safety and that of your team no matter how painful that may be for you?

I think the major points have been covered.

For me I had several hundred dives, was completely bored with the local dive sites that were within my certification. I started doing some dives with some technical divers who felt I was ready to move on. Next step was evaluation from my would be tech instructor. I also had started doing dives in doubles so that the gear would not be new to me. Having 50 or so dives in doubles greatly improved my experience in class as I could focus on learning the new skills not trying to sort out my bouyancy and trim.

Besides evaluating my skills and honest self assessment as to readiness to proceed I had to evaluate my commitment and monetary situation. Tech diving is not something you do every couple of months, IMHO. It requires regular diving and practice of skills. If you don't have the time and money to do the dives a couple times a month then perhaps now is not the time for you to move on.

Diver0001,
You make a good distinction. Obviously the world you and I are active in "the invitation" is still the norm. It used to be the only way. I was reffering to the fact that now there is a shortcut, which is the path most frequented.
Eric

Earlier this year I met a young woman in the Philippines who was doing some rebreather training that took her to 100m.

She wasn't that into diving and said that she was only doing it because her boyfriend was really keen and had paid for her.

True story.

Welcome to 2010 people.

Earlier this year I met a young woman in the Philippines who was doing some rebreather training that took her to 100m.

She wasn't that into diving and said that she was only doing it because her boyfriend was really keen and had paid for her.

True story.

Welcome to 2010 people.

Thanks for that. Same problems ... different technology.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom