How do you rig your BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, didn't mean to get involved in a hijacking.

I think the primary (mine is 3') is supposed to go over your shoulder, under my arm would be a bad angle to my mouth, octo (4') under my arm, both on the right side. I have the same console (3') and I keep it under my waist belt, in front of the cumberbund. Easy to look down for a peek, even when swimming horizontal. For safety stops and navigating I just hold it in my hand. My inflator hose is 28". I have a smal knife on my right shoulder strap, 2nd small knife in the left pocket, snips in the right pocket. Each pocket has a small LED light. Safety sausage, mirror, 20' parachute chord, dive alert. Wow, I'm better prepared than I thought.

doghouse:
Blackwood - Thanks for the link, interesting minimalistic setup.

It's not necessarily minimalistic. For one, I don't think it's necessary to carry my wetnotes each and every dive (though I do so).

I think what's key about the setup is that it's (a) adequate for any type of diving, so you'll never have to switch configurations (and potentially introduce an error margin) and (b) standardized.

Noviz:
The GUE/DIR guys have very good reasons for what they do and how they do it. For the vast majority of us, those reasons really have little meaning. I dive with a group of people who were all trained in the same place by the same instructor. We are all safest and happiest if we "do it Ed's way."

Bingo!

bubba105:
You talk about a working air source. If we're assuming a bad octo, I'd rather have the OOA diver find that out than me. If we're going to share air and it's MY air, I'm controlling the situation and the one good regulator. If I hand off my "good air source" and now find out that my octo is no good, I have to get the "good reg" back from a panicked diver or I become a panicked diver. Better one panicked diver than two, no?

Um, why would you panic? All you did was hand off a regulator. You haven't been OOA for more than one or two breathing cycles.

Did you panic in BOW when you did the regulator retrieval drill?

I love my rig: heres what I have and why.

6# SS backplate
DR Recwing (a bit overkill for single tank dives)
1 Pc. webbing harness, 4 D-rings (2 shoulder, 2 waist)
Soft weightbelt
Light, reel, SMB, small knife
Pressure guage
Wrist Mount Computer

Alright...I have my regular BP/W set up so that my controls and "stuff" are on the left and my emergency systems are on the right. My inflator and dump valves are all on the left, including my pressure guage clipped off to my waist for streamlining and a small reel clipped to the corner of my plate and TUCKED IN for streamlining.

Knife is on the left waist just because thats where I like it

on my right side, I don't use the clip for my SMB...instead the bottom right of my plate has a slot...I secure the SMB with its own strip of velcro wrapped around and through the slot, with the last bit of one side of velcro bent back and duct-taped into a pull tab. it sits extremely tight against my plate and tucked OUT OF THE WAY. in this fashion, when I need to deploy it, a tug on the velcro unwraps from the plate while at the same time unwrapping from around the SMB - its already unravled by the time its off my body, ready for air.

My backup light is clipped to my shoulder strap and secured with bicycle inner tube(cheap and effective).

I took a piece of inner tube and girth hitched it to my right wasit D-ring making an attached loop. I stick the mouthpiece of my backup reg through this. its quite convienant, but this summer I plan to go to a longhose setup.

All in all, thats about it. it sounds pretty DIR, but that was unintentional. its a PITA when DIR divers preach to you, but you've gotta hand it to them...the system is real comfy and it works pretty well. my whole bit is streamlining - it blew my mind when i switched from jacket style to a BP/w with less stuff attached, so now I strive to get everything tucked up and out of the way as close to my body as possible. it makes for nicer cruising. try it sometime - I love my setup.

-Matt

SWMBO took the camera to with her for pictures of our new grandson. So I had to use one of those Free webcams for the pic. Sorry it is hard to make out.
The first stage is on my right shoulder so the hoses look longer than they are.

Hose Lengths:
30" BC Inflator hose
36" Octo Hose
34" Primary reg
34" SPG / Console hose

This is how the instructor / shop owner set up the gear. I do not doubt that I may in the future purchase a better Secondary reg and a longer hose.

BC.jpg

Seems to make sense to guarantee a working reg to an OOA buddy. If he or she is really OOA, they're in real trouble. If they grab a working reg out of your mouth, you've got at least SOME reserve in you lungs, which should last you the few seconds required to let them take a few buddy-breathe breaths, regain their composure, and then hand the reg back to you for a few breaths. IMO, if they grab your octo and it doesn't work, then you've REALLY got a panic situation at hand, and one that's much more imminently life-threatening.

doghouse:
SWMBO took the camera to with her for pictures of our new grandson. So I had to use one of those Free webcams for the pic. Sorry it is hard to make out.
The first stage is on my right shoulder so the hoses look longer than they are.

Hose Lengths:
30" BC Inflator hose
36" Octo Hose
34" Primary reg
34" SPG / Console hose

This is how the instructor / shop owner set up the gear. I do not doubt that I may in the future purchase a better Secondary reg and a longer hose.

BC.jpg

Doghouse,

I use an Atmos XT also. My SPG hose is approximately 33-34". I clip the SPG off to the "D" ring that hangs from the bottom of the BCD, just in front of the left side weight pocket - just as you described. The difference I see from your picture is that I route the SPG behind and under the weight pocket - there is plenty of length to do so - at least for me. The SPG hose does not interfer with the weight release if it is routed underneath.

Thanks AquaHump and Hawkwood, that is the info I am looking for!

Back
Top Bottom