How do you signal air remaining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
I keep coming back to my WetNotes. These things have got by butt out of more jams than any other piece of gear I have.

If there is ever any doubt whatsoever in communication, I whip it out and calmly write out what I think I heard, and seek confirmation.

I can't overstate what an important part of my safety gear this little yellow notebook is.

Couldn't agree more. Even a slate would have helped then. Wetnotes are a great resource.

Usualy with one finger.
I then wave 'byebye to the air sucking ......

In Navy diving school, We taught to look at Your Buddies gauge and Show Him Yours. It takes all the questions out of play.
Another practice is to rig a line about 6'-10' feet to each Buddy in Low visibility or Zero-vis. so that the Buddy is NOT lost. Clips on both ends helps rig and de-rig quickly as needed............Bill

I like using one of two methods... In vacation groups like mexico when a DM wants to know everyones pressure (YOU ALL HAVE THE SAME TANKS)... I like the wrist thing.
When diving at home with a regular or not so regular buddy I feel the 1/6ths method works best.
Not everyone dives the same tanks so psi does not work. 2640 psi in my 108 is far more gas than 3000 in your 80 We all should be "Diving Thirds as taught right?"....You start off with full tanks= 6/6ths It is full(we do not need six fingers) start your dive...you turn the dive at 2/3 = 4/6ths.. ect. ect. back on boat with 1/6 .With an AL80 it works out well for the mathmatically challanged because the 1/6ths match up with the 500psi increments.This way any signals are with one hand and only one signal. You have 5 fingers (Most of us) and would never have to flash any more than that for a clear signal to your buddy. 5 ok...turn 4...half tank is 3...thumb the dive at 2....better be surfacing at 1.I hate to see the 555 crap.Tell your buddy what percentage of gas you have left....not a number from a gauge. I have not been in the situation where lobster claws were worn to screw the system.

Dectek:
We all should be "Diving Thirds as taught right?".....

No, at least not on non-overhead sightseeing dives.

OK, what really gets confusing is when divers with an Imperial SPG dives with someone who's using metric. For whatever reason... when diving with a divemaster is required, or diving with a boat-assigned buddy, or whatever...

Metric divers seem to have a standard way of signalling... though maybe they have as many variants as we Imperials do.

Anyone have a suggested way that would work universally? I kind of like Dectek's idea of sixths of a full tank (post #34)... but that would work best with a 3,000 psi full tank, where each 500 psi is one-sixth. A bit harder when a full tank is 200 BAR.

The most error-proof way may just be to show your SPG... the red zone is pretty clear, though the metric diver needs to know that a full tank is 3,000 psi.

--Marek

Marek K:
OK, what really gets confusing is when divers with an Imperial SPG dives with someone who's using metric. For whatever reason... when diving with a divemaster is required, or diving with a boat-assigned buddy, or whatever...

Metric divers seem to have a standard way of signalling... though maybe they have as many variants as we Imperials do.

Anyone have a suggested way that would work universally? I kind of like Dectek's idea of sixths of a full tank (post #34)... but that would work best with a 3,000 psi full tank, where each 500 psi is one-sixth. A bit harder when a full tank is 200 BAR.

The most error-proof way may just be to show your SPG... the red zone is pretty clear, though the metric diver needs to know that a full tank is 3,000 psi.

--Marek

The signs we use for metric measurements can just as easily be used with PSI. The "T" means 1/2 tank and the fist denotes 1/4 tank.

R..

5+5+5??? My mind is way to relaxed to be thinking about math at 80'. Either show me your gauge or do the one handed version with 6+ going left.

I did a guided dive and at the safety stop the DM wanted to know my remaining air. What stumped me was that he kept pointing to his wrist computer, which I have. The only thing was that his was AI and mine isn't. I ended up shrugging my shoulders and swimming towards him to show him mine. After that he pointed to his reg in his mouth and flashed me the OK and I caught on. Pulled the SPG and showed him I was fine. The really stupid part was that during the dive they checked everybodies and they always help up the SPG as the sign. I don't know why this guy changed.

Diver0001:
The signs we use for metric measurements can just as easily be used with PSI. The "T" means 1/2 tank and the fist denotes 1/4 tank.
How standard is that throughout Europe? I've watched divemasters in Egypt quickly (very quickly) go through the remaining-air signals... the speed with which they always do that makes me think the signals are very standard.

"T" for 1/2 tank is clear. But it seems that there are more signals than just 1/4... that doesn't seem precise enough...

--Marek

Hydrophobic:
I was taught to use one hand. Hold hand up for numbers one through five and show fingers to the side for six through ten. Zero is made by showing a "O" with the hand.

This is a method taught extensively in the military, from my experience. We used that back in my AF flying days to communicate between aircraft even.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom