How does all this stuff work?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlynnp13

Reaction score
Howdy! I've been into SCUBA for around 8 years now and I'm finally going to do it at 19!! My main concern is regulators. I know what they do, but I just don't understand how they work. Granted, I haven't been certified yet, but I'd like to go in there with a modicum of knowledge. Heck, it might even help in my decision of purchasing equipment! :)

Ok.. what exactly are the first and second stages of a regulator?

And, I plan on being a recreational diver (as in I don't have a boat and can't just cruise whenever I want :wink:). What "level" of equipment would you recommend for me? I know I don't need the "fanciest most suped-up expensive" equipment.. and that's about all i know :).

Another quick question.. I have glasses and don't wear contacts. Just out of curiosity, what do the rest of my fellow four-eyes do underwater?

Boy, you have ask a couple of questions that could take pages but let me try to give you my best short try. As to regulators, the purpose of the first stage is to reduce tank pressure, which varies from over 3000psi to under 500psi, to an "intermediate pressure" of about 150psi. This pressure needs to stay constant over the entire range of tank pressures. The second stage takes this regulated intermediate pressure and supplies it to you on demand or more simply, when you inhale. This is accomplished by using a rubber diaphram in the second stage that is connected to a small valve. When you inhale, you place a vacuum on the diaphram which moves and opens the valve which is holding the regulated intermediate pressure from the first stage, air then flows into your mouthpiece. When you exhale, the diaphram returns to it's resting postion and the air stops flowing and at the same time a second rubber check valve opens to "let the bubbles out". This is a simplified answer but maybe it gives you an idea of what they do.
As to equipment to purchase, buy the best quality you can afford but before you buy, rent for a while. Try out different types of equipment and decide what is right for you and the type diving you intend to do.
The glasses question is the easy one, most mask makers offer corrective lenses for their mask, pick a mask that fits you and have the diopters closest to your prescription installed . Hope this helps and sorry for the long winded responce!

Hi jlynnp13,

I've only been diving since January and I too had the same query as to what to do with my mask as I have to wear glasses. I went to my local dive shop, chose a mask and gave them a prescription which I got from my optician. They were able to send away and get me lenses to fit my mask. I was quite surprised by the cost of them as they were much cheaper than lenses for my glasses!!

I now am able to see brilliantly underwater which obviously is the reason for diving!! Even if you decide not to take up diving (you fool!!) it's well worth getting some made up as you can always use them for snorkeling.

Good luck getting started!!

Scuba Sal

Looks like our fellow board members have the issue covered pretty nicely. Just to add a few idea's, here are the rest of the options:

Choosing a mask and then having it sent off to an optician that has the capability to custom grind lenses for your mask is the best ay to go as it can exactly match your prescription. The lens inserts are bonded to the inside of the existing lenses. There are two downsides to the service. The wait, it takes 2 weeks or so to get them back unless you pay for accelerated shipping & the rush order charges that will apply. The second is if your eyesight changes rapidly, especially in one eye more than the other, you are stuck with having to reship and wait again. The cost for the service in this area is around $100 US, it may vary with your's.

The second option is to choose a mask that the shop carries 'drop in' lenses for in stock. The employee can quite easily pop out the existing lenses and replace them with the lenses you require while you wait. The downside to this service is that the diopters may not match your needs perfectly. (They vary in half size diopters last I remember). The advantage is that there is no wait and they are cheaper, around $65 US in these parts.

The third option is to use user replaceable stick-on lenses that can get loose, while using them. They are similar to contact lenses, but for your mask, not your eyeballs, I personally don't like this option too much, but the cost is significantly less expensive at around $35.

The final, best and most expensive answer to your prayers... (of course) is corrective surgery for your eyes. Here in this area the service ranges from $700-1000 per eye. My roommate and several of my former students have had this done. It's a winner!

....a Sea Vision mask. The lenses are ground to my specific RX. My dive shop faxed my RX to them and I had my mask within 10 days. That's the regular turn time. The mask itself fits different face shapes very well, as the silicon skirt is very pliable. But of course, it's always better to try one on first! You also have a choice of clear or color correcting lenses. I have both. I use the colord one on all my pleasure dives, night dives included. The clear one I wear while divermastering classes so the students can see my eyes better.

If my RX changes, it's just a matter of exchanging the lenses.

I've been very satisfied with Sea Vision.

I've always used the contact linses. They also come cheap if you choose the once only type. The great advantage is that you can also see without the mask. I'm very short sighted and can't do anything without visual aids. I know you indicated corrections differently. Here my vison is decribed as -7.5 and -8.25 in the right and left eye, respectively. And no, I never lost one while diving. I just close my eyes when clearing the mask.

DSAO

Hiya Dame Dykker

Your eyes are as bad as mine! I also am following this thread with interest because I will be needing a mask with corrective lenses...You all have pointed me in the right direction. My husband dives with one-use contacts and says it works fine, but unfortunately I cannot wear the things (astigmatism too extreme for contact lens correction)so I will purchase a mask with corrective lenses.

Thanks!

gozu

Hi everyone,

I also wear contact lenses. I wear them all the time, not just for diving. I have never lost a lens while diving, waterskiing or during any other water related activity. I use the disposable kind, which run about $15 US for a package of 6. It is very convenient to buy them this way, as I never have to worry if I do lose a lens, I can just open another package and pop the lens in.

I am currently checking into the corrective lasic surgery. I am at the point where it would be nice to be able to do all these activities (and even wake up) without having to look for my glasses or contact in order to be able to see.

Any input on the surgery would be appreciated.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom