How does GUE compare to other Tech training agencies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK once bubbled...

One of the more difficult points that we seem to struggle getting across to people is that our desire is to stay a small niche agency. Precisely for the reasons you cite we have little desire to grow into an unmanagable level.. We'll stay small so it's easy to hand pick and cultivate instructors that share of goals and views.. While for certain we'll get a little larger we will never grow to the point of being the biggest, if that happens I'll leave that's not what we are about..

At this small level we can afford to be selective and given that I'm booked until next July getting students isn't an issue. In fact we have several courses that we can't roll out yet because of the small infastructure.. At some point JJ and Andrew will arrive at the right balance of instructors, but our instructor training is much different then what many are accustomed to so we have a large drop out rate..

Later

I don't doubt the quality of GUE classes will remain fairly consistent as long as they remain being taught by a select few.. GUE isn't the only agancy with being the bigggest isn't the best.. I am an ANDI instructor and the agency has pretty much the same attitude towards instructors, but allows more flexibily in gear configurations and innovations..

ANDI's protocols about team diving have been in place since its inception and haven't needed modifying, for example all gases clearly labeled on both tank AND second stage, all dives planned as a team concept, all gas changes are done with your buddy and confirmed by each other..

ANDI has been around since 1988 teaching tech classes, in that entire time there have been just over 100 ITs and some of those aren't "diving" ITs but those that teach technician and Medic type programs. ANDI doesn't do academic crossover like other agencies(with a few minor exceptions), all instructors are required to go through the same training. ANDI can claim one thing that NO other agency can claim.. No insurance claims in over 14 years... ANDI has to be doing something right, considering this encompases all its programs including CCRS to 100m.

As for TDI, I was sent cards to teach several courses that I don't feel qualified to teach. This is not a good practice. Not to speak down about myself, but I don't have the teaching experience to be training students at certain levels.

Be very wary of TDI courses.

Cheers from a past TDI instructor,
Sherpa

Scuba once bubbled...
WreckWriter from your previous post it was evident you misinterpreted the meaning of my words, sentences, and paragraphs. You are drawing conclusion based on what you see is the implied intent, as opposed to the expressed intent.

"The issue is this, from reading all the different views and experiences of other expressed here and in other places, I see a pattern establishing the consistent quality of all GUE instructors, along with the similar quality of course material. These same posts also establish the lack of consistent qualities regarding the large rec agencies, hence my question comparing tech to tech."

Your posts here are off topic and I will no longer reply to them.

Wreckwriter's posts are exactly on topic, implied, explied, unplied, or whatever other 'plied you want to bandi about. And you are as transparent as saranwrap.

Scuba once bubbled...
Your posts here are off topic and I will no longer reply to them.

OK. I'll just consider myself "cut off" then. I'll try not to let it ruin my day :)

Tom

Thanks for the comparison MHK. That was an example of a good concise, informatitive response that I wish we would see more of on these boards.

FWIW...

There was an article in the fall issue of Immersed magazine that compares the various tech training agencies, including GUE. The article does not offer a lot of subjective opinions, but it does list their standards, number of instructors, etc., etc.

Enjoy.

http://www.immersed.com/

large_diver once bubbled...
FWIW...

There was an article in the fall issue of Immersed magazine that compares the various tech training agencies, including GUE. The article does not offer a lot of subjective opinions, but it does list their standards, number of instructors, etc., etc.

Enjoy.

http://www.immersed.com/
I think you meant to say that it doesn't offer allot of objective opinions.

We were given free preview copies at a recent Shipwreck and Scuba festival. If I recall correctly, it referred to the GUE Tech 1 as a "glorified" nitrox course. Seeing as how the Standards for that class are easily attainable from the website, I'm not sure how they reached that conclusion.

wb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom