How does PADI define a "dive"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheaters suck. If you cant do it right don't do it at all. What? For a namesake?

Since there is no standards, how does one cheat? Hard to break the rules when there aren't any.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it was the most recent relevant one....

I'd like to pursue DM next year, I think. I'm currently Rescue certified.

I've been logging every dive I do, but I haven't been logging air consumption or getting any signatures on my logs (except for training dives). Is this going to be a problem?

I doubt it unless your dives are mostly borderline dives (i.e. 20ft for 20mins) or it is quite obvious from your log that you are trying to pad things out... Signatures can be forged anyway.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but it was the most recent relevant one....

I'd like to pursue DM next year, I think. I'm currently Rescue certified.

I've been logging every dive I do, but I haven't been logging air consumption or getting any signatures on my logs (except for training dives). Is this going to be a problem?

You aren't required to log air consumption or obtain signatures.

If I were you, I'd want to start logging air consumption for my own education, but said logging has no bearing on DM requirements.

It amazes me that there are so many card chasers out there. Newer divers may look to these pseudo experienced divers for guidance and creates a safety issue.

I guess i'm what you call a card chaser then. I currently only have OW, but I'm going to to for the AOW in a few months then the RD and what ever else sounds like fun.

Not because I want the card but because I believe its the best way for me to learn the skills that go with the card. So although I'm getting cards, I'm doing it to learn the skills.

However I believe if your going to do things like scuba do it properly. So if it takes x amount of dives. All those dives will be complete dives and not just quick dips.

I seriously doubt there are any agencies running BOW courses using doubles for the students.
I have mentored a few students that did their BOW on double 50s and other small doubles. Doubles doesn't always mean Advanced or Tech.

I guess I'm what you call a card chaser then. I currently only have OW, but I'm going to to for the AOW in a few months then the RD and what ever else sounds like fun.

Not because I want the card but because I believe its the best way for me to learn the skills that go with the card. So although I'm getting cards, I'm doing it to learn the skills.

If you're taking the courses to learn new / improve existing skills then you're not a card collector - you're showing a desire to learn and improve.

Card collectors / chasers do it purely for bragging rights and make sure they carry every card they've ever received with them as a "status" symbol - it's the diving equivalent to stuffing a pair of socks down your shorts.

I think I threw my OW card away when I got my AOW and then again threw away the AOW card when I got my Rescue card. Was I not supposed to do that? I thought each new non-specialty cert. kind of replaced the previous one.

I have not logged a dive in a couple years, since my AOW class.

I do however print off the hard copies of my dive profiles from my Vytec or Vyper when i dive using their Dive manager 3 software. It pretty much has all i would ever need minus the signature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom