How dry is your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
Logic tells me that if everything is right, there should be no water entering the suit. But, for practical purposes, how much (if any) water seeps into your suit on a typical dive?

My seals leak slightly as they were trimmed for the previous owner. As I adjust to wearing the suit and try different positions for the seals, less and less leakage is occuring. What was initially a leak rate of 2-3 cups (estimated) is now down to 1/2 to 1 cup.

The seals will get replaced in the near future, but just wondered what leakage rates are for others.

A latex seal should not leak at all. A very small amount of water can enter around the tendon area on some divers wrists with neoprene seals. Ocassionally you may get some wate through an exhaust valve if you keep trying to vent air after it is all gone. This can happen if you are under weighted and not carrying enough air in the suit.

A lot of perspiration can feel just like a leak and overheating should be avoided whenever possible. In anything but really cold weather the dry suit does not go on until all the other gear is ready to go.

A rubber band, a neoprene wrist band or something similar around the wrist to snug things up may help with those leaks until you get new seals. Just don't overdo it and reduce circulation to your fingers.

The only moisture I get is from perspiration or condensation and its a very light surface thing...like I was gently misted....The moisture definitely doesn't contain salt, so its from a nonocean source (though I dive exclusively in the ocean, so far).

a leak of any amount usually means a trip to the Dr, or worse.

These days the only time I use a dry suit is in contaminated water. Dry gloves and dry helmet with neck dam intregrated into the suit helps keep things dry.

For sport diving a slight seepage is not a major problem but stopping anything that you could call a leak is a good idea.

There are a couple of little tricks you can do with your seals to tighten them up.
A "wrist band" of 1/8" skin neoprene under the latex works wonders. For the neck seal, if you're not already tucking it down inside your suit, you should try it that way. Just a tiny air bubble up there will clamp off the seal, just remember not to be twisting yer head around all over the place.
An attached hood makes all the difference in the world.

I have a DIY cuff replacement slideshow in zip format if you're interested in doing the simple procedure yourself: http://comdive.com/cuffs.zip

I get soaked.

My suit has a few seemingly small leaks that build up, possibly the seams. I just cannot find them despite the usual inflating and spraying soapy water etc.

The practical result is after a dive i can wring my undersuit and top out and force water out of it.

This time of year its COLD.

I also think the neck seal isnt great for me and i KNOW the cuff dump leaks too.

At a guess its probably half a pint or so i can extract from my underclothes after a dive. None of it sweat:)

Im getting a new suit but it'll need to be ordered so take a month or so :(

I agree with the preceeding statements that if you get that much water in your suit, then something isdefinitely wrong. I just dove today in my DUI CLX450 without a single drop of water leaking in, which is of course the whole idea behind a drysuit.

Is there a particular place that you are getting wet in your suit? It's possible that you could also have a tiny leak. You can check for this by inserting full soda cans into the wrists so that they seal and a scuba tank through the neck. Zip up your zipper and fully inflate the suit. Pour soapy water over the suit and look for anyplace that is making bubbles. If there is one, then you probably have a tiny leak.

renpirate:
Is there a particular place that you are getting wet in your suit? It's possible that you could also have a tiny leak. You can check for this by inserting full soda cans into the wrists so that they seal and a scuba tank through the neck. Zip up your zipper and fully inflate the suit. Pour soapy water over the suit and look for anyplace that is making bubbles. If there is one, then you probably have a tiny leak.

Like i said, ive tried all the usual methods of finding leaks but i think its a series of small leaker none of which shouw by the inflate and spray method.

Left forearm gets soaked from the cuff dump.

Top half gets soaked through neck seal (ive got a scrawny neck)

I also get wet legs.

All over.

It used to be OK but i think the suit is finally running out. A new one will be ordered this week so within a month hopefully i'll have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom