How early is too early to progress your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
I only started diving last year and have less than 100 dives. A good few months ago I took a GUE Fundamentals course and it was amazing, went above and beyond in my expectations in terms of instruction, fun to be had while diving g as a unified team and my own capabilities as a diver.
I did it in a single 12L tank, and the other student did it in double 8.5Ls.
I was very happy to get a rec pass seen as I only started it with 26 dives and thought I’d fail or get a provisional.

Anyway, after the course my GUE instructor “told” me not asked that I should “definitely” get some experience on doubles while I was at this divecentre as they offer it and have good equipment :D.

So I did 3 dives with manifolded double steel 12Ls and really enjoyed it. More stable, more gas, more practical in terms of safety rather than a pony etc, etc.

I feel safer and enjoy double tank diving (and the weight is easily manageable).

So the question is would it be too early to go on to twins at less than 100 dives (not for every dive) just to feel safer doing dives past 30m (100 feet) and it’s more practical and has less problems than a pony?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Why would you prefer single tank if doubles are more appropriate rig for your dives?

Why would you prefer single tank if doubles are more appropriate rig for your dives?
Not every dive I do is 30m plus, in fact it’s uncommon.

We seem to be taking pretty much the same steps on our hobby. I switched to D12 doubles very early, and haven't really been diving single tank since that. In my area it is far more common to dive doubles than single tank anyway.
Personally I'm also into standardised gear, redundancy and gas reserve so I would not like to constantly switch between a single and doubles.

@EireDiver606 if you want to, do it. The only downside are availability of equipment if you don't own it, and dealing with the extra weight. If those are nonissues for you, then do it. I dive doubles all the time on dives that "don't require it"

I am at about the same point as the OP. I am soooo looking forward to doubles, but the gear is not readily available in my location.

Anyhow, I see no problem with diving doubles on dives that don't necessarily require it (as long as you're already geared for doubles). Better to have too much than not enough, right?

Maybe something can be said for having a Singles rig and a Doubles rig, but that's 2 sets of gear to keep up on and maintain. My plan is to get setup on doubles soon and "never" look back.

Anyhow, I see no problem with diving doubles on dives that don't necessarily require it (as long as you're already geared for doubles). Better to have too much than not enough, right?

Maybe something can be said for having a Singles rig and a Doubles rig, but that's 2 sets of gear to keep up on and maintain. My plan is to get setup on doubles soon and "never" look back.
Things are never always equal though.

Let's say where I am now in Bali. I could choose dive center A which has facilities for doubles, or dive center B which doesn't.

But the ride out to the dive site is about 45 minutes long, and B has a really nice large boat with sundeck, runs 3 dives instead of 2, and serves lunch on board. Categorically excluding singles means I can end up with a lesser experience.

As long as where you want to dive allows doubles, I say go for it. I switched to doubles around dive 85 and probably 95% of my dives since then have been in doubles. I prefer the built in redundancy. The only thing that sucks is lugging doubles around, or the occasional boat that doesn't allow them.

Back
Top Bottom