How easy is it to find Dive Buddy at Manatee Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhayes75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be camping at Manatee Springs Feb 21-27th. I have a Dive scheduled with Birds Underwater on the 22nd (Rainbow River) and a snorkel trip on Monday 23rd. For the rest of the trip I will hang around Manatee and maybe go to Troy. How easy is it to find a buddy during the week there? I know Florida does not get the week off for Mardi Gras like us in Louisiana. I have similar post looking for a dive buddy for those dates in other forums with no true commitments or responses. I plan on bringing four tanks with me being the nearest fill station is an hour away. The question is will I have the opportunity to make that many dives expecting to find a buddy? If no buddy, no dive and I would not need to rent that many tanks.

It will probably be slim pickings for a dive buddy at Manatee during the week. The weather will also play a major role in who shows up. You may want to consider Devils Den, Blue Grotto, Alexander Spring and Ginnie Spring too.

I will be camping at Manatee Springs Feb 21-27th. I have a Dive scheduled with Birds Underwater on the 22nd (Rainbow River) and a snorkel trip on Monday 23rd. For the rest of the trip I will hang around Manatee and maybe go to Troy. How easy is it to find a buddy during the week there? I know Florida does not get the week off for Mardi Gras like us in Louisiana. I have similar post looking for a dive buddy for those dates in other forums with no true commitments or responses. I plan on bringing four tanks with me being the nearest fill station is an hour away. The question is will I have the opportunity to make that many dives expecting to find a buddy? If no buddy, no dive and I would not need to rent that many tanks.

If I'm not mistaken, Troy Springs are currently closed to diving. Not many OW divers bother with Manatee... I to suggest Blue Grotto, Ginnie or Devils Den. You will have more luck there than at Manatee Springs. :palmtree: Bob

I have made three dives in Troy. The last one to check out some new gear. It is just a deep, clear sink, nothing spectacular. (I dont know if they are currently closed or not)
Blue Grotto and DD are much better.

I tried to find a buddy at Manatee Springs one time. The park told me I was the only diver there all day.

If I'm not mistaken, Troy Springs are currently closed to diving. Not many OW divers bother with Manatee... I to suggest Blue Grotto, Ginnie or Devils Den. You will have more luck there than at Manatee Springs. :palmtree: Bob

If someone is up to meeting at any of those areas, I would love to dive them.
from what I read in these forums is that there is not much to see for an open water diver at Ginnie.

I've been to Ginnie a couple of times and had a couple of great dives. You can dive Little Devil, Devil's Ear, and Devil's up to the cave entrance. Without cave cert. you cannot carry a light. Lights are allow in Ginnie Spring. And the River itself can sometimes be interesting. I have a few photos on my website at Ginnie Springs , High Springs

Hey if your still looking for a buddy I wouldn't mind heading up that way for a day to do some diving. My schedule is pretty flexible. Just let me know if interested.

Hey if your still looking for a buddy I wouldn't mind heading up that way for a day to do some diving. My schedule is pretty flexible. Just let me know if interested.

What days can you dive? I am diving with Birds Underwater on Sunday for Noon 2-22-09 at Rainbow River. Monday I plan on Diving at Ginnie Springs. Tuesday Snorkel with manatees. From that evening through Thursday evening, I am open and will be at Manatee. Your welcome to join us. Tuesday through Thursday I do not have a Buddy.

That's fine - I will PM you tonight - after I double check my schedule. In addition to Manatee Blue Grotto and Devil's Den (both mentioned before) are very local and definetly good site we could probably fit one of them in as well if you would like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom