How Expensive Is Belize - Really

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rleslie

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wife and I have been to Roatan (West End) twice and absolutely love everything about it, but we do like to try different places/things. After reading about all of the land based activities along with the diving, we are considering three weeks next year in Belize. HOWEVER, I keep reading that Belize is expensive, so I'm trying to get a feel for just how bad it really is. How does Belize compare to Roatan or to vacationing on the east coast of Florida?

Thanks

How expensive any country is depends on your style of living while there. One comparison is the cost of diving which is significantly higher in Belize than in Honduras. Google to find some dive shops on Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker and check out their dive prices - I was really surprised. I'll be doing a few dives while staying on Caulker this summer and a 2 tank dive close by is around $100 US, more for dives to the atolls. On Utila and Roatan I can find 10 dive packages for less than twice that.

We've been to Honduras 3 out of the last 4 summers (total of about nearly 3 months) but are excited to be heading back to Belize this summer. Keep us posted!

Flights are more expensive than flights to most other locales in that area.

That's a big part of the cost perception

I've read that too, but mostly here. I've been to Belize a few times and it doesn't strike me as expensive. (Granted I'm not real price sensitive, but I also like to get what I consider a decent value.) There's a very wide range of accommodations and prices. For your midrange nice-enough experience it seems pretty reasonable and you could do it pretty cheap if you wanted. Maybe more than Honduras, but cheaper than many other Caribbean destinations. I think you just have to look up some places you're likely to stay and dive or whatever, and decide for yourself according to your own definition of "expensive."

There's no shore diving, so you'll be paying for boat dives. That's expensive if you do longer trips like to the atolls (and not worth it IMO if you're mostly going out there for the Blue Hole.) But boat dives off say Ambergris aren't far and look fairly reasonable (again compared to some other places.) Land tours can be what some might consider expensive, but after doing them they always seemed well worth what we spent. Some of the $ is related to distance, you can do a lot of traveling to get to things in Belize.

From my location, I've generally found better airfares to Belize than Honduras.

A 2-tank dive from Caye Caulker or San Pedro is generally US$75 or less - as low as US$55 in some places. No-one charges even close to US$100.

For a fact, AquaDives does a 2 Day 2 tank = 4 tank for $100. Honduras diving is running 20/dive? That's pretty crazy.

US airways flies to belize for very reasonable rates and earlier this year, there was an insane sale on airfare.

Frenchies on Caulker charges $82.50-$98 for their half day trips and Belize Diving Service charges $80 and up. I realize I could probably pay less if I was staying longer and could buy a package, but if I'm diving just a couple of days that's what I'll pay. I've never paid more than $20 dive ($40 for 2 tanks) on Utila, Roatán, or Guanaja and sometimes as little as $25 for 2 tanks. peterbj7 - if you have an "in" and can get me dives for less than the posted amounts I'd be glad to hear it.

Comparable lodging is more on Caulker than on Utila, too - we splurged and spent $45/night on Utila last summer for a gorgeous, spotless, air conditioned room with 2 queen beds, a beautiful deck over the water, a kitchenette, and cable tv. Looking for similar on Caulker you're lucky to find it for twice that - I've been researching for 6 months. It's true lower priced options are available but we like to end our 5-6 week trips (which typically include really rustic homestay options and places without running water and electricity) with a few nights of relative luxury. Honduras and Belize seem to take turns airfare-wise; Honduras flights are down to $416 right now but last summer they were twice that. Because I plan trips for groups as well as for myself and my family I research deeply and have been surprised at how much the costs in Belize have jumped since 2003.

I'm not trying to chase anyone away from Belize. We had a blast there in 2003 and can't wait to head back this summer.

Costs have certainly gone up in Belize in recent years and it's a matter of concern to everyone working in tourism. Airfares have in particular rocketed.

I'm much more familiar with SP than CC and can't comment on CC prices, except that I don't know what a "half day trip" is that costs up to $98. I can think of several operators in SP that are currently charging $55 for two dives. Ambergris Divers even have a placard at the end of their dock saying that. And as has been said, AquaDives will give you four dives for $100.

How expensive any country is depends on your style of living while there. One comparison is the cost of diving which is significantly higher in Belize than in Honduras. Google to find some dive shops on Ambergris Caye or Caye Caulker and check out their dive prices - I was really surprised. I'll be doing a few dives while staying on Caulker this summer and a 2 tank dive close by is around $100 US, more for dives to the atolls. On Utila and Roatan I can find 10 dive packages for less than twice that.

We've been to Honduras 3 out of the last 4 summers (total of about nearly 3 months) but are excited to be heading back to Belize this summer. Keep us posted!

Your post caught my attention as I recently made flights reservations for a 2 week trip to Belize that includes a three day stay on CC. At the time I didn't consider checking the cost of diving. I just now looked at two of the dive ops price list and I too am very surprised! That Liveaboard looks like a real bargain now!

I looked again (and you can, too - live links above) - the most expensive trips from both shops are 2 tank dives to Hol Chan and I think include a reserve fee. Still, $80+ for the others adds up fast. We'll be spending a week on Glover's earlier in the trip and, though the lodging is cheap, the diving is spendy there, too. I'm not sure why Belize is so much higher than Honduras and right now the flights are 1/3 less to Honduras, too - can't help Belize tourism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom