How expensive is tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is impossible to value moments that so take us in we scarce dare to breath only out of instinct.
I have a few that rest only till I close my eyes they appear in vivid detail.
Risk, training, gear it all melts into each other that one day will simply rust or fall apart but the memory will still be as vivid as it was when we lived it!
Regrets? NONE!

The feeling being spoke of from inside these wrecks is hard to describe with words.
I feel the same while cave diving certain passage is just so breath taking.
Whether man made or by nature the awe striking beauty is undeniable.

CamG

The USS Kendrick is one of those dives I will never forget. A navy destroyer in 320 feet of water south of the keys. We were tied in to the bow and as you descended here was this beauty sitting upright in the sand, guns still in place. She is very narrow and it looked almost as if she were cutting her way through the sand still underway. We had been blessed with a 100 feet of viz. and minimal current. I surfaced knowing i had just done one of my bucket list dives.

Start slow, then build up the time in acquiring dive gear. One thing to remember you will never stop buying dive gear, things need to be upgraded then serviced. Buy the gear you need for the class you plan on taking.:D

So if you plan on taking UTD tech class, you know you need a back plate and wing along with a dry suit.

Going Tech its not expensive at first it just adds up to whole LOT. Then there is always the second mortgage.

I can do many "tech" type dives with the equipment I already own so the major cost for me would be the exotic gas mixes I'd need (and the proper training in how to use them). Even Nitrox is expensive here on the island so I use the gas God/The Big Bang gave us!

I compare tech shopping to shopping at Sam's Club. Ya know you can't pick up any product at Sam's that doesn't cost at least $10. In a cave/tech dive shop, you can't pick up anything that is less then $100. With that said. I cave dive wet, duel bladder nomad side mount. I added up the cost of the dive gear on every dive. I enter the water with $28,000 worth of investment. Tech diving is very equipment intensive. It costs thousands of dollars and years of training...

I was wondering how expensive would going into tech be? I have researched course prices for advanced nitrox, deco-procedures etc and they are not cheap. But once you do get certified, can anyone give me and idea as to

1. what kind of gear investment are we looking at? Is it necessary to own 8 different regulator sets etc? It is understandable to collect gear as you go up in training experience but if you get 6 different regulators serviced annually, that alone is a lot of money. No? Are all tech guys extremely rich people? (Doctors, CEO, dentists etc)

2. How much does a typical tech charter cost?

3. What about gas fills? I pay 13 dollars for nitrox fills so how much would helium and trimix etc cost?

Any other hidden costs? Thanks. I want to do tech but if it means diving less than Id rather stay recreational and just dive more.

This is like asking how much a Lamborghini Gallardo costs.....if you need to ask, you can't afford it :)

Some good questions. As with most things in diving, and on SB, the direct, unambiguous answer to virtually all of your questions is, 'It depends.'What equipment do you have now? By the time I completed tec training I owned several backplates and wings, a set of double 120s (that I had previously used as singles), an AL80 (previously owned), a 40 (bought for tec), a set of new backgas doubles regs, two deco regs (one previously owned, one bought for tec). I already had a drysuit when I started - without which I would not have been able to do the training, or some of my subsequent dives. Over the years since, I have added (a lot of) gear, much it it purchased used. Frankly, if you do your homework up front, are willing to buy used (regs, cylinders, computers), are able to be patient and wait until you find exactly what you want at a fair and reasonable price, and stay minimalist in acquiring gear (how many backplates / wings do you NEED, vs how many do you WANT), you can assemble the gear need for decompression diving for a modest amount of money, probably less than $2500. I think a more reasonable figure for planning would be 50% more than that. But, you can go inexpensive, get some decent gear, and be safe and functional. I was actually thinking of throwing out a number like $10,000, to account for the big picture cost of the training, and the equipment, and the travel, needed to get the the point of trimix certification. Garth beat me to it. That isn't an unreasonable number, by the way. But, you don't absolutely HAVE to spend that much. You don't have to make a huge investment in new equipment, you can acquire gear over time, you don't have to own 8 regulators (although generally you will own at least 4). As for service, personally - my opinion only - I think learning to service your own regs goes hand in hand with technical training. So, that is something that I would anticipate doing.Many people who pursue technical diving have the financial wherewithal to do so. But, I know many technically trained divers - including some graduate students - who are by no means wealthy, and they have managed to pursue their goals in a fiscally conservative manner. That depends on a variables such where you are, where the boat is, what boat you are using, what distance the boat has to travel to get to the site, etc. You mention wanting to dive some of the NC coastal wrecks, and here is an example of cost. In June we did a two-day, one deco dive per day, charter out of Hatteras - $355. Later this month, we have a 3-day, one deco dive per day, charter, for $475. That's going out with JT Barker on the Under Pressure. I think JT's prices are probably in the upper half of the cost spectrum. I also think his charter fees are worth every penny, based on the boat's features, the competence of the captain and qulaioty of the mate, and the attitude of the captain (who won't leave the dock and charge you if he doesn't think there is a reasonable chance of getting to the site, or a comparable site), etc. In contrast, I have done some deco dives in the St. Lawrence, out of Brockville, where the charter fee was less than I pay for a two tank recreational charter out of Wilmington. Again, 'it depends'.

BUT, it is also useful to remember that the cost of the charter itself may be minor, if not trivial, compared to the cost of getting to the charter. I drive 5 hours to get to Hatteras from the Triangle. I stay overnight at ~$100 / might (split with my buddy). I have food expenses, etc.

Also, keep in mind that 'tec' doesn't just mean diving deeper wrecks. It may also mean diving longer on recreational depth wrecks, so you do one long dive, while others do two shorter dives. Obviously, whether you can do this depends on a lot of variables, and I am not suggesting this is the usual and customary. only that it is one possibility. Helium, as you probably know from reading posts on SB, continues to increase in cost, and that is unlikely to change. Earlier this year we (the shop) were paying $0.82/cf to the gas supplier. I don't know what it is this week. But, using that as a rough estimate, and assuming you don't even get charged a fee for the shop to blend, etc.: I dove the EM Clark in June, used double 130s, and filled them with a 16/45 blend. So, 45% of 260 cf, times $0.82/cf meant it cost me ~$100 for the backgas. The next day we dove to the Lancing at 170 ft, and I air topped the 130s (I will suck down every bit of that helium I paid for). More than a few people would say that ~$100 for a doubles trimix fill is cheap. But, I did my own blending, I don't pay an upcharge as a shop staff instructor, etc. Of course, I also had to pay for two 40 cf bottle of 100%, and two 80 cf bottles of 30%. Let's say that was another $40. That was for two dives. Was it worth it - you bet! Would / could I do that once a month? NO!First of all, just because you are tec trained, tec certified, and tec 'capable', doesn't mean you will only dive 'tec'. Why would you think you would dive less? From my perspective, having the training and skills means you will quite possibly dive more, if anything, not less, and much of that diving will still be within recreational limits. So, there isn't any basis for saying if you don't do at least X number of dives per year (pick a number), it is not worth it. In fact, tec training and credentialing is well worth it if for no other reason than to improve your diving skills, and precision. In the calendar year I started tec training, I logged (only) 25 dives - I wasn't diving a lot, or even enough. The next calendar year, when I finished tec, I logged 42, and the number has grown each year since then. If anything, 'going tec' increased my diving, rather than decreasing it.

I don't have to fill up with trimix to do a decompression dive off the NC coast. But, because of the investment in the training and equipment, I have more options than I did ever before. One example, I have dove the Tarpon at 140+ ft as a decompression dive (with two deco gases), I have dove the Tarpon as a non-decompression dive, and I have dove the Tarpon as a 'short deco on backgas' dive. Having the proper skills and equipment allowed me to choose what I wanted to do, and plan each dive accordingly. The technical training, and the experience you gain through the subsequent diving, is valuable. It is hard to put a 'worth it' price on it, because that depends on the individual.
Thanks for this post. Moving to NC in June and I'm a tech "wannabe". Actually, I really want to cave dive but my husband and I both live wreck and reef dives. I'm assuming, since we'll be 1.5 hours from Wilmington, that we will do more offshore than in the caves.
My husband and I have almost all our gear. We'll need to add regs, doubles and deco tanks. We both have plenty of tanks, assuming I can use AL 80s, HP80s or AL 63 for my first doubles. Might choose to switch from back mount to sidemount.
What we do have, though, is good lights, drysuits, backplates ( I have two), good computer ( only one each right now),and SMB/spools. So, I guess we're at least halfway set-up.
Any good instructor recommendations?
I'd really like to do a GUE Fundies class in rec gear to get started. My husband is more experienced so he'll probably go straight into a tech config.

But, yeah, you can spend 100k$ +++ on tec diving within the first year if you like...
It took me couple of years to spend that amount. But then I quit counting anymore.

A measure of a good diving season is when I spend annually more money on gasoline to dive sites than maintaining my RIB boat. The same measure applies to cave diving, i.e. spending more money per annum on gasoline whilst driving to cave sites than the annual cost of maintaining my car. I guess the same would apply to breathing gas costs vs spending on dive equipment...

Thanks for this post. Moving to NC in June and I'm a tech "wannabe". Actually, I really want to cave dive but my husband and I both live wreck and reef dives. ...//...

Cool. Just take a solid cavern course in rec gear. You and hubs will sooner or later hate me forever for that suggestion... :D

Cool. Just take a solid cavern course in rec gear. You and hubs will sooner or later hate me forever for that suggestion... :D
Nah! I saw a video of Agnes about 3-4 years ago and have been wanting to go cave diving ever since. I watch cave videos, read any book I can find on cave diving, even the stupid fiction stuff. I lived Bill Stone's book and the one by James Tabor's. I also loved the book by Verna Van Schaik, although that's more about breaking a deep record. Still some heart-stopping cave scenes in it.
I'm a little worried about using doubles because my knees/ankles and hips are bad plus I have a fused neck with several disk herniations above and below the fusion. I developed osteonecrosis recently and walking while carrying weight is difficult. I can carry a 50 lb feed bag a short ways but doubles would be closer to 80 pounds which might be too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom