How expensive is tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just responding to the OP without reading the thread so I'm sure some of this is redundant, but my take:

1. what kind of gear investment are we looking at?
Significant. $3-5k will get you started - depending where you are relative to your instructor that number goes up quickly with travel costs. As your diving takes you further the tab will go up. Between the wife and I and the gas blending system we've got probably close to six figures tied up in our hobby between gear and training.

Is it necessary to own 8 different regulator sets etc?
Will you be doing dives where you'll have eight tanks? Probably not. 3 or 4 is probably a reasonable expectation for dives shallower than 200 feet, which is where you'll start.

It is understandable to collect gear as you go up in training experience but if you get 6 different regulators serviced annually, that alone is a lot of money. No?
If you service them annually. A lot of people service regs when they need servicing. But yes, you will have to have an expectation that you'll need to maintain your equipment.

Are all tech guys extremely rich people? (Doctors, CEO, dentists etc)
I don't know that all tech divers are extremely rich people, but you don't do this stuff if you can't afford it. I would say that every one of the tech divers I know locally has a very good job and an enviable degree of freedom. Some of them are professionals as you suggest, others simply prioritize their hobby above other things in order to make their activity financially possible.

2. How much does a typical tech charter cost?
It will vary depending on where you are and how far you have to go. The most recent charter I did was a wreck at 280' and another the next day at 330' (that's two dives) for ~$600 (food included, gas fills not included). For an open circuit diver on that trip with a tip you're healthily approaching ~$1200-1500 for the weekend. If tropical tech diving charters are your thing you can look up boat and gas prices in Truck or Bikini.

3. What about gas fills? I pay 13 dollars for nitrox fills so how much would helium and trimix etc cost?
Gas will be priced at the cubic foot generally based on what it costs your blender to get the gas and how motivated they are to pump it for you. A lot of people (myself included) opt to take this on ourselves for convenience reasons that are rarely economically beneficial.

Any other hidden costs? Thanks. I want to do tech but if it means diving less than Id rather stay recreational and just dive more.
Depending on the dive there are consumable costs. Cave line, oxygen sensors, gas analyzers, lots and lots of tank maintenance (~24 tanks presently that need VIP and hydro, etc).

Bottom line - this stuff isn't cheap. You're the only one who can decide whether or not it's worthwhile. Just don't half-ass it. That's one way people get hurt.

As Steve pointed out, a single to 150fsw is not a good idea for a new to 150fsw diver, even with a stage. A very wise diver pointed this fact out to me when I was where you are now. You need to really think seriously about where you think you are going to be 3 years post class. Try and buy gear that fits that picture, and nothing more till you get to the end of 3 years. You may push on, you may stay put or back off.
Eric

Any piece of tech gear can be purchased on eBay for $30... and if any of you ****heads tell my wife anything different I'm coming after you with a pole spear!
I hope she finds this board by chance!!

I love USPS priority mail shipping. She always asks me to get the mail on the way home which means I can intercept the packages at the cluster box.

But when the FedEx or UPS man rings the bell in the middle of the day... well there is some answering to be done.

I don't like this thread. I just finished my advanced nitrox and decompression diver course and have currently been calculating out my gear cost while simultaneously convincing my brain it's all still affordable to a college student...

I don't like this thread. I just finished my advanced nitrox and decompression diver course and have currently been calculating out my gear cost while simultaneously convincing my brain it's all still affordable to a college student...

On a long enough timeline it is. Don't get discouraged, just be realistic and set attainable goals.

Start hanging out around a friendly dive shop. If something spills, clean it up. If you see the trash cans full, empty them. And keep doing it over and over. Become the joke of the shop, something to the effect of, "Jesus Seahawk, do you live here now?" from all the other customers. Get a job, no matter how little it pays, and even if it's only 5 or 6 hours per week. Be a good asset to the shop.... then buy gear at cost.

It worked for me nearly 18 years ago. It's still working for me every day.

I hope she finds this board by chance!!

That's why I use my initials!

:d

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 04:29 AM ----------

Start hanging out around a friendly dive shop. If something spills, clean it up. If you see the trash cans full, empty them. And keep doing it over and over. Become the joke of the shop, something to the effect of, "Jesus Seahawk, do you live here now?" from all the other customers. Get a job, no matter how little it pays, and even if it's only 5 or 6 hours per week. Be a good asset to the shop.... then buy gear at cost.

It worked for me nearly 18 years ago. It's still working for me every day.

Or become a DM there. Pay is the same, but at least you don't need to clean up spills or empty the trashcans.

:d

Honestly? As expensive as you let it be. I JUST graduated college and currently have an entry-level job, so I'm by no means "affluent" or "wealthy." I did what was recommended to you by everyone else on here. I worked at a shop as a slave (DiveMaster Candidate) for WAY too many hours, and I got a big discount on gear. I also bought used, bought the minimum needed (not bare minimum, but not far from it), I bought high quality (or else I'd be buying twice), and I bought whenever I could. As far as initial outlay, there are essentials and there are accessories:

Initial Outlay:
Drysuit - $1000-$2000
BCD - $350-$1000
Slate - $20
Computer - $250-$1200
Tech fins - $150
Primary Regs - $500-$2000
Deco Regs - $500-$2000
Masks - $50-$200
SMB - $20-$120
Lift Bag - $50-$100
Reels/spools - $20-$300
Tanks - $250-$1000 (not required, but it can be hard to find doubles or "good" SM tanks for rent)
Deco bottles - $160-$300
O2 Analyzer - $200-$1000 (recent incidents have scared me senseless, get analyzers!)
CO Analyzer - $140-$350
He Analyzer - $1000 (if you get into He diving)
Argon bottle/reg - $80-$150 (if you go Trimix)
Backup lights - $100-$600
Canister light - $1000-$2500 (required in some agencies, normally a good idea)

Training costs:
AN/DP are about $400 each for tuition. Plus gas, etc, you're easily over $1000
Each subsequent step approaches $1k as well.

Annual costs:
Reg Servicing: 4 regs x 2 stages per reg x $25 per stage = $200 per year (not including Argon)
Tank servicing: 4 tanks x ($15 vis + (.2*$50) hydro) = $100 per year (not including Argon)
Analyzers: 2 analyzers x .5 sensors per year x $75 per sensor = $75 per year (Not including Helium)

Cost of Diving: (I'm guessing, or relating to my diving...even though I don't do Deco I dive caves)
Gasoline - $100
Hotel - $100
Fills - $40-$300
Charter - $150-$500

Last edited:
2000 dollars for backgas regs? They better come with hookers and blow for that price.

To the OP, you can get into tech diving for way less than the majority of these estimates. There's a pair of XL jet fins for a whopping 13 dollars on ebay. The above state "$150" for 'tech fins'. Come on guys...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom