How fast does a finner fin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StueyinDeep

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Moved this post over from the Equipment forum bc no one answered....does anyone have any ideas?

I recall reading an article in a diving magazine - I think in Oz -a few years ago where they compared all the fins that were on the market at the time. They took a few people - layman, regular diver and an athelete - into a pool and tested the fins. I'm sure they gave a figure for how fast an average diver could fin.

The article and magazine is long lost but I was wondering - having searched SB and not found anything - if anyone had any idea - roughly, obviously, as everyone is different - as to how fast a finner fins....

In knots please.

StueyinDeep:
Moved this post over from the Equipment forum bc no one answered....does anyone have any ideas?

I recall reading an article in a diving magazine - I think in Oz -a few years ago where they compared all the fins that were on the market at the time. They took a few people - layman, regular diver and an athelete - into a pool and tested the fins. I'm sure they gave a figure for how fast an average diver could fin.

The article and magazine is long lost but I was wondering - having searched SB and not found anything - if anyone had any idea - roughly, obviously, as everyone is different - as to how fast a finner fins....

In knots please.

There have been some threads in the past dealing with currents and being able to swim against them. IIRC it seems that a diver wouldn't have much luck against anything more than a couple of knots at best and then not for very long.

Also I'm curious as to why you are intersted in speed? The faster you go the, the higher the drag which kills your air consumption rate.

I'm interested bc it's a useful piece of information. I know as well as the next man that moving fast underwater is counterproductive in a number of ways not least bc you scare of the fish.

A couple of knots is more than I thought.. I'd figured less than a knot. Any more takers?

StueyinDeep:
I'm interested bc it's a useful piece of information. I know as well as the next man that moving fast underwater is counterproductive in a number of ways not least bc you scare of the fish.

A couple of knots is more than I thought.. I'd figured less than a knot. Any more takers?
I would guess most people are comfortable at one half knot or less. Breaking one knot is possible for nearly anyone. I suppose about half of the divers out there can break two knots. Air consumption and fatigue are big problems above one knot.

Speed is not normally much of an issue. Air consumption for a given distance is what I usually see compared.

Rodales did a test in Cozumel, with a bunch of divers using different fins at a depth of 15 feet... Average top speed - bio fins at 2.9 mph for a flutter kick, Blades at 2.6, volos at 2.4, and for a frog kick, Apollo Bio fins at 2.1 mph, blades at 1.9.

Here's a link to the results: Rodales fin Test

Sweet. Thanks Larry. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

Over a couple of summers, I swam laps at a local pool. I wore swim trunks and used Mares AvanteQuatro dive fins (they are paddle style) and an AquaLung Hawaii2 mask with snorkel. I calculated that my max sustainable speed in knotts was just under 3 knotts. I could sustain this swim for 15+ minutes or so. I flutter kicked only and broke the water surface tension ahead of me by keeping outstretched arms, hands clasped together just out of the water. I could NOT have achieved this rate on SCUBA (even without water resistance) because I was WAY OVERBREATHING what an average regulator could supply.

I work in a hospital intensive care unit where I deal with ventilated patients. I have 10years experience seeing adult breathing response patterns. An otherwise healthy adult, with normal lung function (in other words, without lung infections or chronic lung disease) will experience an oxygen demand deficit/lag when they go from resting to stressed (somewhat comparable to a swimmer or runner doing a sprint). Adrenalin flows, metabolism increases, then the body/respiratory system tries catching up. This “lag” takes about 45seconds to a 1 ½ minutes to start; and about the same length of time after coming back to rest to recover.

I experimented with this while SCUBA diving in tropical clear water. I do a 100ft moderate sprint. By the time I get to about 75ft my respiratory rate has increased to the point where, if I continued, would quickly cause me to overbreath my regulator (You know that feeling of air starved underwater?). Then upon resting, it would take the compunctual one minute to recover.

Over the six years I have been diving, I estimate that maybe I could sustain an underwater swim against a half (0.5) knot current, if I were in my best athletic shape; I speculate I might possibly succeed against a one (1) knot current for short periods (like my 100 foot sprint experiments); that one&ahalf (1.5) knot currents would be unmanageable to sustain any kind of headway. Too easy to overbreath my regulator.

Out here in California in the Pacific ocean we have kelp. For me, swimming against a current which causes kelp to be 20-25 degrees off vertical, respiratorially, is a manageable current; kelp at 45degrees off vertical, I can’t sustain swims against current; kelp being pushed flat towards the bottom is a real howler of a current, time to thumb the dive. This California cold-water experience is in wetsuits only. The few times I have dived drysuits, the increased drag slowed me down considerably. This increased drag in drysuit diving is a major reason why I am partial to wetsuits (much more streamlined and efficient in water).

IMHO: max finning on SCUBA is a half (0.5) knot sustained - without current.

What a great post! Thanks a lot!

I recon I may have to get in the pool and do some laps underwater (in scuba) and see what happens...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom