how important are dive knives and tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sciondiver518

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
well i was reading under the equipment section under dive knives and tools and i was wondering how important a knife and shears are, and what brands types are reccomended. i know the uses of the knives are, one for a signaling device, also to free your self from monofilament line or nets, but are there more effective signaling devices, or cutting tools?

If you need to cut yourself loose, it's as valuable as all the rest of your life support tools.

My knife has never left it's sheath other than to cut loose some monofiliment I wanted to clean up. However, I would never dive with out it. You don't need a Rambo style killing machine but a small knife or shears is a really good idea.

You'll definitely want one for entanglement hazards, and if you're eco aware, for cutting up nets stuck on coral and such.

I wouldn't recommend using one as a signaling device though.

There's plenty of different signaling devices, from tank bangers, to metal pointing rods, to rattles, and lpi hose whistles, in aproximate rising order of cost. Or you can just beatbox, make druming "uh" sounds in your throat, they're surprisingly effective, try it out with your mouth closed.

A cutting tool of some kind is essential. Two are wise.

I usually carry EMT shears and a DIR-style knife. If I could only choose one, it would be the shears based on the conditions I usually dive in.

I carry three cutting tools in three places. A handy-dandy Deep Sea Supply knife on the left BC Belt, a Z-knife on the left shoulder strap and a SS utility shears/slate combo on the right shoulder strap. This is one thing I want multiples of.

60012_IMAGE_MEDIUM.jpg

Deep Sea's SS Knife

cold_water_z_knife.JPG

Dayo.com's Z-knife

Scuba-Stainless-Steel-Underwater-Safety-Shears.jpg

Scuba.com's Utility Shears

You'll definitely want one for entanglement hazards, and if you're eco aware, for cutting up nets stuck on coral and such.

I wouldn't recommend using one as a signaling device though.

There's plenty of different signaling devices, from tank bangers, to metal pointing rods, to rattles, and lpi hose whistles, in aproximate rising order of cost. Or you can just beatbox, make druming "uh" sounds in your throat, they're surprisingly effective, try it out with your mouth closed.

just curious why wouldent you use it as a signaling device? i notice alot of them have metal caps on the end to use as a tank banger

just curious why wouldent you use it as a signaling device? i notice alot of them have metal caps on the end to use as a tank banger
Mine are too small with lots of plastic. Cheap means if I lose or break it, I really don't care. :D

I was thinking more along the lines of fooling around with sharp pointy things behind your back you might accidentally puncture or cut something you shouldn't, like a BCD.

My course director told me much the same when I bought a knife and was thinking to use it to signal too. Heh.

I ended up buying one of those metal pointers, and now I don't use it much since my videography instructor taught me to beatbox. Still, it makes its way on my rig as a backup signaling device(and fullfilling PADI standards).

yea i guess the cutting something important is a good reason to get a standalone signaling device

My opinion...at least one person in a dive group should have some kind of cutting tool.
For example my son and I took our gear on a wilderness camping trip in Canada. I got us blunt ended titanium dive knives in case some fisherman hooked our butts...the only time I used my knife was to anchor myself to the bottom as I pulled against the current in one area of the lake:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom