How important is Advanced Open Water Certification for Palau diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had J take AOW during a trip on the Nekton Pilot, which provided plenty of downtime for the "classroom" stuff and the in-water exercises barely impacted her dive trip given the amount of diving we were doing. She never had any previous issues with just a standard nitrox cert and had already logged over 150 dives, but I thought it worth buying the card as we were planning to dive the Spiegel Grove later in the year and I had heard scare stories of dive ops demanding the AOW cert to dive deep. She also had thought about doing a rescue class at some point and AOW was a necessary prereq.

It was sort of funny last week on the shuttle van to our hotel in Cozumel when we were chatting with another passenger about "advanced" dives, which I meant in a completely different sense. She proudly boasted that she was an Advanced Open Water diver as if that settled the matter. I bit my tongue and graciously kept my opinions to myself.

As a dive guide,working/guiding in Palau/Peleliu with the top three dive operations for a year. The only dive site I know you HAVE to dive below 60'/18m would be the Virgin Blue Hole. It's a must 90'/30m deep,dark,cold,elbow tunnel that usually I come out at 110'/33m on 32%EAN limit. The Blue Holes has a 'window' at 60'/18m so your depth is up to you & percentage of O2 you are using.Exceding your NDL is the most common problem in Palau/Peleliu. The current can be masking ripping at several sites & the 'hooking areas' are usually 45'/15m sometimes require 'double hooking' to extend bottom time without deco.That's (2) 15'/5m 'rock hooks' put together decreasing your depth! The dive shops I guided for require a dive experience questinaire & check-out dives to determine your skills. Remember you can ALWAYS stay above the guide & dive within your limits.Be sure to dive Ulong Channel during out going tide,my favorite in my career. Dive safe,Have fun.....You will never forget Palau/Peleliu's Rock Islands,Jellyfish Lake,and "The Rainbow's END"!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom