How is scrubber exhaustion measured?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

super scrubber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I've seen general things like buy 2.2kgs for an hour... The technical data sheets for sodalime just say 120L/kg for Co2 present. Does the diameter of the hose have to be taken into account too and different rates of air intake? Is there anywhere that concretely says how much is needed for a 1 hour dive with so and so weight? If someone has more information handy about this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

See many other threads on this topic. Start by reading your unit's manual and talking to your instructor.

I've seen general things like buy 2.2kgs for an hour... The technical data sheets for sodalime just say 120L/kg for Co2 present. Does the diameter of the hose have to be taken into account too and different rates of air intake? Is there anywhere that concretely says how much is needed for a 1 hour dive with so and so weight? If someone has more information handy about this, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
The amount of absorbent you use depends on the volume of your canister. The canister needs to be fully packed to reduce the likelihood of gas channeling. Are you attempting to use a home-built? If not, then ditto @davehicks above - this information should have been well-covered during your class and in the manual for a commercially built rebreather. If it wasn't, then I'd recommend re-taking the class, perhaps with a different instructor to give you a new perspective.

Best regards,
DDM

The amount of absorbent you use depends on the volume of your canister. The canister needs to be fully packed to reduce the likelihood of gas channeling. Are you attempting to use a home-built? If not, then ditto @davehicks above - this information should have been well-covered during your class and in the manual for a commercially built rebreather. If it wasn't, then I'd recommend re-taking the class, perhaps with a different instructor to give you a new perspective.

Best regards,
DDM
I'm building it from scratch for a school project and don't have diving experience but I'll try to snag a manual of a produced one online then, thanks!

I'm building it from scratch for a school project and don't have diving experience but I'll try to snag a manual of a produced one online then, thanks!

For rebreathers that are CE certified it is part of their testing. I don’t recall the exact numbers but they put the rebreather at a set depth, in water of a certain temperature, then push a known volume of air through the unit.

This article might be of interest to you:

This article might be of interest to you:

This article is great, thank you so much!

Nice! I'm sure you'll hear this multiple times and at the risk of stating the obvious: it's a big jump from building one for a school project to actually diving one, especially a home-built. You'd need open-water diving certification and some diving experience before taking a CCR class, and a lot of diving and engineering know-how and experience to build one that is safe to dive.

Best regards,
DDM

this information should have been well-covered during your class
Shoulda-woulda-coulda. Not all instructors cover this adequately. My first one certainly didn't.

Nice! I'm sure you'll hear this multiple times and at the risk of stating the obvious:
@super scrubber: please read @Duke Dive Medicine's entire posts several times. Scuba diving has inherent risks that many people ignore unless they get certified. Rebreathering is another quantum leap in complexity and dying. Too many have died needlessly trying to figure this out without training.

Get the effin training!

Shoulda-woulda-coulda. Not all instructors cover this adequately. My first one certainly didn't.

Please read his entire posts several times. Scuba diving has inherent risks that many people ignore unless they get certified. Rebreathering is another quantum leap in complexity and dying. Too many have died needlessly trying to figure this out without training.

Get the effin training!
I did read his posts and tried to say this diplomatically above. Thanks for phrasing it in diver-ese :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom