How is the diving mid March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the peak diving season in the Bahamas and how is the diving around mid March? Is Grand Bahama the best spot for a first timer to the islands?

I guess not too much happening in this sub forum! Either the diving in March sucks or it is incredulous that it is self-apparent and my question is obviously silly!

Not at all....
There IS no such thing as a silly question. Now silly people?.............:D

It's just, it's the Caribbean, it just doesn't vary THAT much.
Have a search on here. GB is very highly regarded! For everything from reef to Caves.

Peak Season? Well, here in the BIG smoke, (laughs out loudly!) Nassau. March is towards the crescendo of spring break. Always fun!

Any time of year, you wont go too far wrong.
Check out San Salvador, Riding rock inn and Club Med,
Andros, Small Hope bay
Abacco, well... it's all pretty good.
Eleuthera, Freeport, Bimini, Long Island and LOADS more.
Your question is perhaps just a little open ended?
Have a scoot about on the site here. Bahamas offers every thing from Sharks (Many kinds), thru reef, wreck, blue holes, caves AND loud mouths like me!

What are your hopes?

K374,

I've been to the Bahamas (various islands and 1 liveaboard) about 8 times total...but only once in March. The rest were summer and a couple of times in the fall.

My experience in March was different in three ways:

1. Trades out of the east were typically a lot stronger than in the summer. My summer and fall experiences have been mostly flat calm or nearly so - unless there's a hurricane. Hence, more rough boat rides in March. I don't have much winter experience in the Bahamas, but I do have more in Southeast Florida which is pretty much the same weather pattern with winds out of the east.

2. Water temps maybe 7-9 degrees lower than the summer/fall - 75 degrees vs. 82-84. Typically I dive in a 1 mil or bathing suit - during my March trip, I wore a 5/3 and was still cold by the end!

3. Less algae on the reef relative to summertime.

This year's weather has been really strange in the states (El Nino?) - as I'm sitting here looking at the 3rd blizzard of the winter. That might affect the winds and water in the Bahamas, but I don't know how. My last visit was Nov 09.

As to the best place for a first visit - that's tough to answer. Are you an experienced diver? What other destinations do you like/dislike? What is it that you're looking for in particular for this trip?

I consider March a hit or miss month here. You know spring wants to come but sometimes winter comes roaring right back at us. (Yes we have winter in the Bahamas!) The boat rides can be bumpier in March and the water temp is still in it's lower ranges (75F).

Viz is better because of less algae and things in the water.

A 5mm and hood is what I would recommend, plus windproof clothing and a hat for the boat ride back.

thanks, I've decided to go to Cozumel instead, got some good deals on packages there and conditions and diving look more favorable, Bahamas some other time :)

The water temp. in the Bahamas when we went at end of Feb was 70! We did the shark dive with Stewarts Cove. I did 3mm w/ hood and was fine.

Back
Top Bottom