How is this advertising?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem, we don't always see eye to eye and that is fine. I am closing this thread because I don't like long discussions in Site Support as I forget to read all the posts. If anyone has comments they are free to start another thread about it.

John,

While I understand your confusion, it has nothing to do with our moderators. She indicated exactly WHY you violated the TOS and was pleasant about it. It is not their fault that you do not see the connection. I have gone to the site support and see that you have probably already worked this out, but I will reiterate the reasons here in hopes to clarify this once and for all.

The problem is with not knowing when it is appropriate to mention your sites or services. Maybe this will help!

We consider any primary (initial) post in a thread that asks others to go to another site, to consider gear or services, or to join any organization that is posted by an agent for those entities as Spam or advertising. IOW, YOU can’t start a thread about any of your projects EXCEPT in the market place or in the Trips and Happenings forums in the various club forums.

Agents are considered to be anyone with a vested interest in an organization which can include but is not limited to owners, employees, moderators or admins of other sites, Instructors and DMs for a shop, and of course recruiters of any kind. If for any reason someone is deemed to be an agent by www.ScubaBoard.com we expect them to abide by our ruling.

There can be non-solicited primary posts by someone who is not an agent of the entity like “Hey, go check out XYZDivers.com… way cool!” We believe that this type of “word of mouth” advertising by contented users is wonderful and less likely to be self serving.

There can also be responses to specific questions like “Where can I find a California Fish ID site?” to which you might legitimately answer “Why you can find that at MY site which is XYZSite.com. While we don’t want to act as a portal for businesses, we DO want to be a place for the exchange of ideas. If your site or service will help solve a problem or question presented by a user then by all means post away.

We also allow you to advertise your site in your signature as long as you don’t violate the TOS on signature length.

Now that I have explained WHAT we allow, let me tell you why. It would be very easy for www.ScubaBoard.com to be inundated by commercial interests (profit or non-profit) and this board would become yet another Rodales. Useless to our users. We have kept our signal to noise ratio, the user to advertiser ratio and the overall usefulness and friendliness of www.ScubaBoard.com quite high by doing this. Our loyal user base appreciates our aggressive moderation of this board.

Far from being a “dimwit”, I find the moderator’s actions to be spot on! I would suggest you owe them an apology for being so openly hostile and condescending. No volunteer deserves to be treated in such a manner. Without them our board would implode!

(This was an e-mail I sent to John in regards to his questions... I have posted it here in hopes that it may help others as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom