How late you dive till?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

Getting certifed in October, and wondering how late everyone up here dives to in the lakes? Using standard gear and i guess what 6mm suits? the ones i would be able rent..

Just wondering if im going to be able to get much diving in once i get certified at the end of october..

Keep in mind im rather large, 340 pounds.. so im like a polar bear :)

Thanks
Michael

I dive wet, with a 7mm, hood and gloves. I believe the last time of the year was the end of October, so you'll have a couple of weekends after you get certified. Then from there it depends on your tolerance to cold and the surface temps, especially if your diving wet late in the year.

If you don't get cold easily, or have a dry suit, then you can dive year-round, at least while the water is still liquid -- after that it's ice diving season. That being said, the St. Lawrence river freezes later & thaws earlier, so you might want to try some river diving (Brockville/Rockport area).

If you want to dive more this fall, buy a drysuit...

Well i have lots of insolation. lol, Infact at the cottage im the only one snorkeling.. hell usally the only one in the water between march - october! .. lol, So if a wetsuit will keep me any warmer.. it looks like i willbe in the water alot!

But wow, talk about 65' of dark, very cold water!!! I'd like to attempt this dive earlier in the year, but apparently it's frowned upon while the Trent-Severn system is up and running.
I also did my advanced certification dives in November, this time off of Big Bay Point near Barrie, Ontario.

Alan

Michael_Lambert:
Hey everyone,

Getting certifed in October, and wondering how late everyone up here dives to in the lakes? Using standard gear and i guess what 6mm suits? the ones i would be able rent..

Just wondering if im going to be able to get much diving in once i get certified at the end of october..

Keep in mind im rather large, 340 pounds.. so im like a polar bear :)

Thanks
Michael

I dive year round. However I use a drysuit from mid/late September to end of June. I use my drysuit for all dives involving a thermocline.

Many people I know use wetsuits for winter diving. The winter dives are shorter and they get really good at changing quickly. However usually they decide to buy a drysuit after a few years.

However it really depends on your personal tolerance for cold. What you may find comfortable, someone else will find horrible. You need to find out what is comfortable for you.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the bottom temperature of most lakes doesn't change much from winter to summer. The gear you'll need to enjoy your dive in the summer under the thermoclines will be the same you'll need in the winter. Its just the getting in and out of the water that is different.

Back
Top Bottom